Talk

Advanced search

How to replace egg in a nutloaf recipe for a vegan?

(17 Posts)
MirandaGoshawk Thu 17-Dec-15 14:48:26

Any suggestions as to what will bind ingredients together like egg does?
Or shall I just use almond milk & hope for the best?

TIA

FaithAscending Thu 17-Dec-15 14:49:35

You can get egg substitute that's suitable for vegans in the free from section of most supermarkets. Disclaimer - I have no idea if it's any good, I've just seen it since I'm gluten free!

MirandaGoshawk Thu 17-Dec-15 14:50:26

Also any other suggestions for Christmas vegan recipes gratefully received.

MirandaGoshawk Thu 17-Dec-15 14:51:28

OK FA - thank you. I didn't know that. Dd has just become vegan & it's all new to me!

FaithAscending Thu 17-Dec-15 16:05:28

GF is complicated, I can't imagine cooking vegan food! Hope it works for you smile

May09Bump Thu 17-Dec-15 16:07:53

Try "no egg" by orgran - then just add a bit more water or almond milk.

TheSpottedZebra Thu 17-Dec-15 16:09:54

Is it a particular nut roast recipe you wanted to veganise? As if you Google vegan nut roast, there will be tons of recipes. My friend has made the one of the Jamie O website, and says he's actually quite good for vegan recipes (and I rate his site for veggie recipes too).

Blondie1984 Thu 17-Dec-15 22:12:54

You can use chia seeds instead of egg to bind - soak them beforehand in some water until they form a gel and then stir them in
There is a recipe on the Deliciously Ella site that uses soaked flaxseed which is another alternative
[http://deliciouslyella.com/sage-and-apricot-nut-roast-with-cranberry-sauce/]

Blondie1984 Thu 17-Dec-15 22:13:45

sorry that didn't work deliciouslyella.com/sage-and-apricot-nut-roast-with-cranberry-sauce/

whois Fri 18-Dec-15 13:47:22

A bit of plant-based milk would help bind, or I do a chia egg because I usually have chia seeds in.
1tbsp chia sees to 3 tbsp water. Leave to gel for 5 mins then tip in.

MirandaGoshawk Fri 18-Dec-15 14:18:23

Oooh thank you all! That Deliciously Ella recipe looks just about perfect as a main Blondie and I actually do have some flaxseed! I would use chia seeds but they cost a fortune!

Onykahonie Fri 18-Dec-15 18:24:58

You don't need egg at all. I use breadcrumbs to bind mine.
I've got various other vegan options on my blog if you want to take a look.

ScienceRocks Fri 18-Dec-15 18:33:06

If you are after a vegan starter and pudding, I can recommend nigella's chestnut soup and Mary berry's summer pudding made wintery by using mulled wine (Sainsburys does a vegan one) instead of kirsch.

Sainsburys is excellent for vegan supplies, actually. When grocery shopping in its site, you can tick a box that makes the system show only vegan options. Very useful for things like wine.

MirandaGoshawk Sun 20-Dec-15 23:10:30

Thank you both. Onkyahonie your blog looks like just what I need! And I do use Sains Science so will have a look x

LaContessaDiPlump Sun 20-Dec-15 23:19:01

Slightly off topic Miranda but how old is your DD? I'd recommend a vitamin supplement to ensure she's covered for the basics until she works out what her preferred vegan diet consists of - Holland and Barrett do a vegan multivitamin supplement which I take.

I asked about age because I think it's more important for younger people to get all the minerals/vitamins they need for growth - us old buggers can cope with a sub-optimal diet for a while but the yoof need more careful maintenance wink

Onykahonie Mon 21-Dec-15 18:40:20

Thanks Miranda. I'm veggie, but I cook vegan meals around half of the week, and have attempted a few vegan cakes & bakes too.

MirandaGoshawk Tue 22-Dec-15 22:10:51

Contessashe's 22. She does a lot of walking and goes to the gym but she's done her research, makes home-made smoothies with all sorts of funny supplements (spirulina etc) & has loads of energy. I think she takes supplements as well. She's at Uni so I don't see what she eats all the time but I know she has porridge for breakfast every day & makes her own lunch. So I trust that she knows how to keep herself healthy better than I do smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now