Talk

Advanced search

All time favourite and easiest slow cooker recipe

(7 Posts)
DeliveredByKiki Wed 16-Dec-15 17:09:32

Friends arriving tonight to stay for Christmas, after a long plane journey, want to bung something tasty and warming in the slow cooker for them, DH and 2 DC (one eats everything they other is a fussy fucker) - I'm out and vegan so thought I could do them meat for a change

But I literally want to shove it all in there and be done with it, at most do pasta/rice/potatoes on the side

Hit me!

WhoKn0wsWhereTheMistletoes Wed 16-Dec-15 17:12:57

Open lid, put whole chicken in, close lid, switch on. Serve with crusty bread and salad, or potatoes.

Or if you want to do some veg in there too, put the chicken on a bed of carrots, onions or similar.

DeliveredByKiki Wed 16-Dec-15 17:50:42

Just a chicken? Was hoping for a casserole type thing I suppose with veg inside and served directly from the pot

HirplesWithHaggis Wed 16-Dec-15 18:00:48

Least complicated - cut an onion and a couple of carrots into big bits, bung a brisket of beef on top, cook on low for 6-8 hours.

What's in my slowcooker right now - layer of sliced potatoes, layer of gigot chops, layer of sweated leeks/onions/garlic/carrot/other root veg you have hanging around, layer of sliced potatoes on top. A pint or so of stock (lamb/chicken/veg), cook on low for about 8 hours.

WhoKn0wsWhereTheMistletoes Wed 16-Dec-15 19:10:04

Ah, I was going for literally the easiest. Of stew type things my favourite is braising steak with carrots, onions and mushrooms plus a small amount of stock. Coat the steak in flour, season with pepper and a bit of mustard powder, maybe a bay leaf. Serve with mash and plain green veg (I like sonething a bit crisper to go with the sliw cooked veg).

DeliveredByKiki Wed 16-Dec-15 19:29:47

Ok thanks all - yeah literally easier is bunging in a chicken but I also can't be bothered with doing anything on the side!

My mistake always seems to be too much liquid

HirplesWithHaggis Wed 16-Dec-15 21:38:32

You don't add any liquid to the brisket I suggested, the meat and veg produce their own, and the meat comes out like a roast. Add boiled/mashed tatties and carrots or whatever, and there you go. (Don't serve the carrots/onions from the pot, they go soggy)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now