Talk

Advanced search

food ideas for small Christmas party?

(13 Posts)
busymum17 Wed 16-Dec-15 12:03:59

We are having a small party involving drinks/snacks and I can't think of anything to cook.
I need to make a few finger food type items, preferably vegetarian as some of our guests are.
I though mini quiches at first but they are too similar to mince pies (which we will have of course).
Any yummy suggestions?
Thanks!!

fieldfare Wed 16-Dec-15 12:19:33

I've just made some spiced aubergine, red pepper and mozerella parcels, some sausage and mozerella poppers and some sausage rolls.

My daughter made a vegetarian creation a little while ago - samasties (ing of a samosa but big like a pastie). You could make them smaller using a large cookie cutter to make them prettier. Mix was simple, sautéed an onion, garlic, celery, a large potato and carrot, chopped finely, add a tin of curried chickpeas, some frozen peas, a good teaspoon of garam masala and about 100ml of veg stock. Let it cook down until everything is soft, season to taste. You may have to add more water if it gets a bit thick before the potato and chickpeas are cooked.

Bruschetta always go down well here too.

busymum17 Wed 16-Dec-15 12:22:11

Genius ideas! Thanks so much smile

MrsLeighHalfpenny Wed 16-Dec-15 12:27:44

you can make samosas with any filling you like - you can get the pastry in Asda.

Fresh fruit on cocktail sticks would be a nice refreshing option and cheese straws always go down well here, as do good old fashioned vol-au-vents.

PhoenixReisling Wed 16-Dec-15 12:53:04

Falafels?

Fry onion with garlic, chilli, cumin and coriander (spice and the herb). Once cooked, season and add to some mashed chick peas and egg. I would then pop these into the freezer to firm and after half an hour I would fry these and serve.

You could add to the above ingredients things like dried apricots, pomegranate seeds,or add more or less chilli.

You could also make pakora sorry don't know a recipie for that off hand

Cheese board?

JamNan Wed 16-Dec-15 15:32:45

little blinis with cream cheese and smoked salmon/ gherkins/ pickled cucumber/ tapenade/ olives/

Everyone loves cheese-and-pineapple on sticks.

SquadGoals Wed 16-Dec-15 15:57:36

Sausage rolls/cheese & potato rolls for veggies
Mini chicken skewers with satay sauce (obv for non veggies!)
Baby new potatoes cut open with sour cream & chives on top
Vietnamese rice paper rolls - easy to buy the rice paper skins & add stir fry veg fillings and prawns for non veggies

My DMIL takes a block of Philly out of the tub, pours sweet chilli sauce over the top and puts a load of crudites, rice crackers etc around it. Really simple but so good.

Goodbetterbest Wed 16-Dec-15 16:16:56

I'm just putting platters of continental meat, pickles, crackers and cheese out.

And now the Philly and Sweet Chilli dip as well. smile

strictlylurking Wed 16-Dec-15 16:31:08

We just had a little Christmas party and I did a hot bean dip (white beans and cheese with garlic, cooked till soft and blended till smooth) with little toasts and a crudité platter with lots of different veg and pita bread cut into wedges for dipping into a variety of dips.

You could do bruschetta, I'm not veg and I still love the stuff. You could do also do a baked brie or a fondue if you don't like the idea of a bean dip.

JaniceJoplin Wed 16-Dec-15 16:36:19

Cranberry and brie puff pastry bites. Just cut the pastry into squares, squeeze into a muffin tray, add brie and a spoonful of cranberry and bake for 20 mins.

JaniceJoplin Wed 16-Dec-15 16:46:49

Bruschetta with pesto (from a jar), add a thin slice of parmesan (it is sold like this in some shops) and an olive. Lightly toast the bread before.

superbfairywren Wed 16-Dec-15 16:50:33

Brie and cranberry sauce mini tartlets
Panko prawns/filo wrapped prawns
Breaded mozarella sticks
Cheese straws
Blinis with smoked salmon/cream cheese or both
Crudités and dips
The supermarket party food ranges are getting really good so I would just make one or two really nice things and buy a few others.

Thumbcat Wed 16-Dec-15 16:55:29

Pizza. Cheese & tomato. Everyone eats it. Cheap. Easy. Soaks up the booze.

(My Christmas gatherings aren't classy)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now