Talk

Advanced search

What's everyone serving for Christmas?

(15 Posts)
KP86 Tue 15-Dec-15 17:58:50

Looking for ideas!

We are having gammon/ham, turkey and salmon for mains but I desperately need ideas for starters, sides and dessert.

It's my first UK Christmas so thinking traditional with a twist.

2legit2knit Tue 15-Dec-15 18:09:06

We are having anti-pasti and fizz mid morning rather than a starter, roast rib of beef and all the usual trimmings, then xmas pud with cream and creme brulees for pudding.
We usually have something with smoked salmon or prawns if we have a starter.

KP86 Tue 15-Dec-15 18:09:49

What are all the usual trimmings? Roast vegies?

bookbook Tue 15-Dec-15 19:23:59

I don't ever do starters on Christmas Day meal
roast potatoes ( and mash for DH)
sprouts
carrots/peas mixed
leeks
broccoli
I also do roasted veg ( carrots/parsnips/shallots/whole garlic) if I am catering for a lot of people smile
and if I do beef, then I do Yorkshire Puddings
Its so everyone has a favourite veg really!
I do a traditional christmas pudding (home made) but also do chocolate sponge as an alternative

alicer123 Tue 15-Dec-15 19:31:23

I'm going to be basing Christmas dinner this year on this recipe where the instructions are split in to different teams - looks like a fun way to make dinner this year with the whole family!

www.2thekitchen.com/team-christmas-dinner/

Chicken has always been my favourite, but you can't beat some traditional sage and onion stuffing smile

bookbook Tue 15-Dec-15 19:40:28

Argh - forgot the stuffing - a family 'forcemeat' recipe that is requested whatever meat we are eating!

Higge Tue 15-Dec-15 20:39:15

alicer123 is that your website? We always share Christmas dinner tasks, no one should be stuck in the kitchen alone!

KP86 Tue 15-Dec-15 22:11:58

Thanks for the ideas so far. Will have a proper trawl through the website tomorrow.

Mama1980 Tue 15-Dec-15 23:19:01

I'm cooking for about 25/30
Starters we are having baked Camembert, salad, olives, Parma ham with it for the meat eaters.
Sides I make are roast and boiled potatoes, baked butter beans, honey roast parsnips, carrots, peas, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, mustard leeks and veggie stuffing.
Will have turkey and beef (I don't eat meat so don't cook that)
Dessert we have later and is Christmas pudding, with cream, brandy and rum butters, mince pies, and a Chocolate sponge for anyone who doesn't like Christmas pudding.

Madmog Wed 16-Dec-15 10:38:09

Money is tight here, but I've managed to keep a little aside for extra spending this week.

We're skipping starters. Main will be a turkey breast joint and a piece of salmon (if funds don't permit then happy to have a white fish fillet thats in freezer). Veggies will be roast potatoes, carrots, sprouts, maybe parsnips (again depending on what funds are left in the pot next week). Will also serve stuffing, pigs in blankets and Mum likes bread sauce and cranberry sauce which she'll bring. Xmas pudd & brandy sauce for afters. MOST IMPORTANT thing though will be a bottle of wine - I got that in November!!

Later on will have crusty bread, cheddar cheese, pickled onions (love them but only get them at Xmas), leftover turkey, tomatoes, cucumber. Mum is bringing a quiche and some crispy nibbles.

Agree it's great if tasks can be shared Xmas Day, or at least someone keeps you company in the kitchen. Here I prepare everything, DH cooks while I pick up Mum and I spend times with her & kids, then Mum and me do the washing up, hopefully with teenage daughter putting away (after lots of nagging hehe!).

PhoenixReisling Wed 16-Dec-15 11:36:57

Just making Xmas dinner for just DH and I and the DC for the first time ever smile.

No starters. I will then make roast chicken, small honey glazed gammon, roasted potatoes, roasted carrots/parsnips, stuffing balls, Yorkshire cause I luffs them, brocolli and peas we hate hate hate Brussels sprouts and of course copius amounts of gravy!

Dessert will be trifle hate hate hate mince pies/Christmas pudding smile

In the evening DH and I will munch our way through a cheese board, pickles/chutney and some cold meats.

KP86 Wed 16-Dec-15 12:27:27

A cheese board sounds like a wonderful addition for after dinner. Will need to add to my shopping list.

Great to know that standard roast vegies are the norm. I'm going to add stuffing balls and maybe some pigs in blankets.

I've been looking on the BBC food page for ideas as well. Lots of yummy looking desserts there. I don't like traditional pudding so may get a very small shop one for others and then have a chocolate or toffee pudding as the main dessert, and a small trifle. Because it's not Christmas without trifle!

PhoenixReisling Wed 16-Dec-15 12:46:37

OP we usually have a box set of different types of crackers with our cheese board. I tend to buy cheese/cold meats such as:

Port salut
Extra mature cheddar
Chilli cheddar
A soft blue cheese
Camerbert
Smoked cheese
A fruit based cheese
Chorizo
Parma ham
Spicy salami

We tend to stick to fruit like grapes.

2legit2knit Wed 16-Dec-15 19:03:54

Sorry, I forgot I'd posted! Our usual trimmings are roast potatoes, roast parsnips, sprouts, carrots (maybe roasted), green beans or broccoli for the sprout haters, stuffing balls, pigs in blankets and yorkies. Horseradish and mustard for the meat. And redcurrant jelly for the boy because that way he'll eat everything without complaining!

KP86 Wed 16-Dec-15 20:36:47

Sounds perfect 2legit. Thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now