Talk

Advanced search

Meal Plans over Christmas

(13 Posts)
Higge Mon 14-Dec-15 22:19:24

I need inspiration for Chrismas eve and Boxing day - Christmas day is sorted
Breakfast - Cinnamon rolls/bacon sandwich/scrambled eggs smoked salmon with cocktails - peach bellini, bloody mary, champagne cocktail
Lunch Prawn Cocktail/Egg mayo
Masala Chicken/brussel sprout thoran/mushroom bhaji/ferrari potatoes/pilau rice/nann
White chocolate and ginger cheesecake
More cheese

And I don't think we can eat any more - leftovers for one meal on Boxing day but I need another and something easy for Chistmas eve.

pieceofpurplesky Mon 14-Dec-15 22:25:42

We do walk and pub lunch in Christmas Eve before home and stockings! Like something really simple like sausage and chips - like a complete opposite to all the rich food - so maybe do something old fashioned and plain .... Casserole/sausage and mash/fish and chips - tea for us is then home cooked ham and bread (picked cheese etc sat round watching the polar express ..) traditional Christmas Day. Boxing Day leftovers and then hopefully the beach and take a picnic!
Keep it simple

lastqueenofscotland Mon 14-Dec-15 22:35:50

How can anyone want big meals on Boxing Day?!

Higge Mon 14-Dec-15 22:40:08

Why not on Boxing day? - we don't eat loads of junk and chocolate through the day etc, so we want proper meals - tasty, easy, interesting...

mrsmeerkat Mon 14-Dec-15 22:43:07

We love roast duck and red cabbage

Quiche would be good with tasty sides and salad

Salmon wwould also be light and tasty - Iove Cajun spice

StrumpersPlunkett Mon 14-Dec-15 22:44:48

We are having a lamb tagine with couscous on boxing day

Higge Mon 14-Dec-15 22:45:01

MrsmeerkatWhat do you do with the red cabbage?

Seeyounearertime Mon 14-Dec-15 22:49:51

We have a special treat of a tkeaway on Xmas eve.
Then Xmas day we have a light brekkie of muffins and bacon or similar
Xmas dinner with apple pie and custard for afters.
Boxing Day we pretty much hve the day on rubbish, leftovers, chocolate, Pringles etc etc.
27th things are more or less back to normal.

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Mon 14-Dec-15 23:04:08

christmas pie uses up your leftovers

depending on requests Christmas Pie here is either left over meat, so pork, turkey, ham, any stuffing, stirred through a thick thick creamy béchamel, knobs of cheese, generally stilton stirred in and then a puff pastry base and lid

OR

left over meat, so again, pork, turkey, ham, stuffing, cranberry sauce, (hard boiled eggs too if you want to go a bit Gala Pie) then layer that all in strict layers into a hot water crust pastry, cover and bake
Allow to cool and serve in pretty slices! I usually have ham or chicken stock to make a aspic/jelly type of stock if I am going to serve it cold

but generally I cook a massive ham on Christmas eve, so we have a taster of that in rolls for supper, Christmas day is the main non stop eating event and then boxing day and usually the 27th is just cold cuts and cheese and pringles and pate and chocolate, and all that!

StrumpersPlunkett Mon 14-Dec-15 23:14:26

I want to make this over Christmas saw it on to this afternoon
[[ www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03bq0fn James Martin recipe]]

alicer123 Tue 15-Dec-15 19:33:26

If you like roasted vege this recipe would be amazing for Christmas eve - really tasty but easy to do: www.2thekitchen.com/roasted-butternut-squash-and-goats-cheese-winter-warmer/

Higge Tue 15-Dec-15 19:59:28

I love the James Martin sandwich idea for left overs and I love squash and goats cheese - dcs do not share my love of squash sad
Great ideas, keep them coming meal planners! - moving towards homemade pizza on Boxing day - takes a while but very little effort and good for using up leftovers, if there are any. I'm making the gnocchi with sausage and chestnut from River Cafe Green this weekend - which feels pretty festive.
I'm tempted to cook a ham on Christmas eve for tasty fridge pickings and sandwiches.

Cookingongas Thu 17-Dec-15 07:22:48

I always plan pretty much a week of leftovers meals after Christmas blush
On Christmas Eve I do a ham, usually eaten with homemade potato wedges and leaves 3/4 of a ham left
Turkey on the day - a whole turkey between two adults and two small dc means we barely finish a breast.

Boxing day - lunch cold cuts and cheese
Dinner- ham and turkey pie ( www.hairybikers.com/recipes/view/cold-turkey-and-ham-pie-with-a-cranberry-topping#Ir6iT3doPXWOtEHU.97 )

27th- lunch - leftover pie
Dinner- turkey and wild rice from nigella Christmas

28th- lunch- cheese and pate
Dinner- turkey and vegetable soup

29th - leftover soup
Dinner-last of the ham and pea risotto

30th - last of turkey, turkey tetrazzini or turkey and pesto lasagne

31st- goose or beef roast.

Clearly we are turkey/ ham gluttons. And throughout the year I don't rely on meat so heavily- honestly fblush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now