Talk

Advanced search

Cold starter for xmas day that is portable??

(13 Posts)
splodgeness Mon 14-Dec-15 18:28:08

I am taking the starter to my DS's house on xmas day. But as she will be using the oven I want to do something cold that people can eat standing or sitting around. For eight adults and two children. Any inspiration people??

slicedfinger Mon 14-Dec-15 18:29:21

Smoked salmon, blinis, eggs etc?

NoSmileToday Mon 14-Dec-15 18:42:51

Goats chees and caramelised onion tartlets?
Prawn cocktails served in individual baby gem leaves?

splodgeness Mon 14-Dec-15 18:52:42

Nice. I was thinking of the prawns in lettuce leaves, does that work (i.e. possible to eat/not too messy)?

dancemom Mon 14-Dec-15 18:52:54

Crackers and pate?

KitKat1985 Mon 14-Dec-15 19:00:22

I'd be tempted to bring more 'nibbly' starters like stuffed olives, breadsticks and dips, etc as some people may not want a 'proper' starter if they've got a big meal ahead, and it's easy for people to eat standing up etc. Also whatever doesn't get eaten can just become nibbles for that evening / the next day so there's no real wastage.

NoSmileToday Mon 14-Dec-15 19:04:07

Yes aslant ng as you don't over fill the leaf and for the adults/older children you can secure them with cocktail sticks.

NoSmileToday Mon 14-Dec-15 19:04:45

*as long as

Aftershock15 Mon 14-Dec-15 19:06:53

Smoked salmon pinwheels - easy to make, transport and eat

Sparkletastic Mon 14-Dec-15 19:08:56

Crostini. Prunes in bacon. Canapés on cocktail sticks (tomato / mozzarella / black olives, Brie and grapes etc).

whois Mon 14-Dec-15 20:39:59

You can't go wrong with prawn cocktail! Everyone loves a classic like that before xmas dinner.

splodgeness Mon 14-Dec-15 21:54:50

I had forgotten about prunes in bacon, they are yumski!
And cocktail stick things sound good - yes to brie and grape, but also I had watermelon and feta once which was lovely. Wonder if I could do a king prawn with something on a stick too.

hereiamagain22 Wed 16-Dec-15 21:27:27

You can wrong with prawn cocktail with me - I can't stand seafood. Also some people are allergic to shellfish. As long as you know it's ok for everyone it's ok.

I do a thing of asparagus (very lightly cooked), leave it to go cold, smear with a little cream cheese and wrap 3 spears together with parma ham. Serve on green salad.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now