Talk

Advanced search

easy salad ideas to go with chilli con carne and jkt pots.

(20 Posts)
Willow33 Mon 14-Dec-15 13:12:52

Am going to a bring and share dinner. I said I would bring a salad but any ideas what would go with the above? Someone is bringing a coucous salad already.
As easy as possible please!

Seeyounearertime Mon 14-Dec-15 13:18:08

I was going to suggest get a bag of ready made salad from Tesco for £1 and grate some cheese in it. But as its to take somewhere then probably need something a bit 'posher' grin

Seeyounearertime Mon 14-Dec-15 13:24:52

Thinking about it, I'd suggest either a relatively simple ceasar, balance any spice in the chilli with cool and crisp.
allrecipes.com/recipe/14172/caesar-salad-supreme/

Or I might think about Grilled vegetable salad of some type too.
allrecipes.com/recipe/50882/grilled-vegetable-salad/

Sgtmajormummy Mon 14-Dec-15 13:25:31

I'd make something cooling if it's chilli. What about peeled cucumber cut into chunks, chopped juicy tomatoes and a few salted capers? That's my favourite summer combination, dressed with red wine vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper well in advance so the flavours mingle.
Tasty!

ThereIsIron Mon 14-Dec-15 13:26:04

The only suitable salad for this dish is coleslaw

PerspicaciaTick Mon 14-Dec-15 13:27:56

Chopped tomatoes dressed with salt, pepper, a bit of lemon juice (and some finely grated rind of you fancy) and maybe a drizzle of olive oil. Or use lime, it will heighten the kick from the chilli.
I'd probably do a homemade coleslaw too, because the creaminess would work well with chilli and the potatoes.

Willow33 Mon 14-Dec-15 15:08:55

Sjtmajor - what are the proportions you use in the dressing?
Tick- how do you make yr coleslaw?

PerspicaciaTick Mon 14-Dec-15 16:32:46

1tbsp lemon juice and a teaspoon of wholegrain mustard, mixed. Use the widest slots on the grater to grate in half a cabbage, then the largest holes to grate in about 4 carrots. Mix then stir through mayonnaise (about half a small jar). The quantities can vary depending on your taste and how much you are trying to make. A bit of salt and pepper too.

DH adds sultanas - but I think this a Step Too Far.

Sgtmajormummy Mon 14-Dec-15 16:55:22

Per person I'd say half a cucumber, 8 cherry tomatoes or equivalent (must be chopped to let the juices out) 4 salted capers, a dessert spoon of vinegar, slightly less of olive oil and a grind each of salt and pepper.
Crusty bread rolls would be good to soak up the dressing...

Fallenangle Mon 14-Dec-15 17:16:22

As many different crisp things as you can get, tossed together. E.g sliced peppers, iceburg lettuce, grated fennel, sliced cucumber, grated green cabbage, julienned carrots, thinly sliced asparagus,. Crunchy and cool goes well with baked potato and with chilli.

IHaveBrilloHair Mon 14-Dec-15 18:25:59

I'd do a wedge salad but take the dressing separately.

P1nkP0ppy Mon 14-Dec-15 18:34:52

Rainbow Salad: chopped cucumber, celery, tomatoes, red or yellow peppers, spring onions. Add black olives, olive oil and white vinegar dressing. Very simple and utterly delicious. Lovely on its own too (or with jacket potatoes) with cubed feta cheese

A deconstructed guacamole -

sliced red onion
halved cherry toms
chopped avocado
coriander
lime juice
maybe some chopped red pepper as well as some finely chopped red chilli

whois Mon 14-Dec-15 20:38:34

A deconstructed guacamole

I was going to suggest something similar. This would be delish and the flavours all match the chilli.

Willow33 Mon 14-Dec-15 22:14:51

Great ideas. What is a wedge salad Brillo?

Higge Mon 14-Dec-15 22:43:13

Salsa, guacamole and a tomato, red onion, cucumber, pepper, feta, vinegaette salad.

Bunbaker Mon 14-Dec-15 22:46:43

I watched Nigella make this sweet and sour slaw earlier on this evening and it looks like a perfect accompaniment to chilli.

Willow33 Thu 17-Dec-15 16:58:13

So went for the deconstructed guacamole and it went down v well. smile

Hurray! smile

IHaveBrilloHair Fri 18-Dec-15 19:53:16

wedge salad
Sorry,I did mean to get back to you, glad your salad was a success, we are huge avocado fans here so will have to try it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now