Talk

Advanced search

Ideas for party pastry fillings?

(12 Posts)
BlueCowWonders Thu 10-Dec-15 20:00:30

I have a yen to make vol a vents or filo pastry tarts.
But can't think of any fillings! Nothing too intricate as it's just family - any ideas please?
No nuts or shellfish because of allergies, but open to any other suggestions.
Thank you wine

ouryve Thu 10-Dec-15 20:07:59

Isn't the traditional vol au vent filling something akin to condensed mushroom soup?!

I used to make little tartlets with squares of puff pastry, spread with pesto or sun dried tomato paste andvtopped with halved cherry tomatoes and basil leaves plus mozzarella or crumbled feta or chorizo.

SoftBlocks Thu 10-Dec-15 20:10:26

Smoked mackerel, creme fraiche and a tiny bit of horseradish.

BlueCowWonders Thu 10-Dec-15 20:10:38

Can't do pesto (more allergies...) but I have already got sundried tomatoes and feta. That's one sorted. smile

iklboo Thu 10-Dec-15 20:15:07

Sprouts - just pop one in each case (kidding!!) smile

zzzzz Thu 10-Dec-15 20:18:52

Poached pear and blue chees in the tarts

Creme Pat and fresh raspberries for the pastry thingy. Just NOT chicken and mushroom soup or tuna mayonnaise.

BlueCowWonders Thu 10-Dec-15 20:21:41

I'd love to do sprouts iklboo grin. Can you imagine their faces?!

iklboo Thu 10-Dec-15 20:32:58

You should do a few & present them with a completely straight face grin

PolterGoose Thu 10-Dec-15 21:49:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BlueCowWonders Thu 10-Dec-15 22:07:56

Brilliant, thanks Poltergoose.

cdtaylornats Thu 10-Dec-15 23:22:57

Creamed Shredded Brussels Sprouts - they wont know what they are until you tell them

www.drgourmet.com/recipes/extras/creamedbrussels.shtml#.VmoIf_mLTGg

PhoenixReisling Fri 11-Dec-15 14:07:34

Red onion and goats cheese

Fry the red onion with a little oil and once soft add a little sugar and balsamic vinegar. Put this on/in the pastry and then add a slice of goats cheese.

Apple and sausage

Pierce the skin of a sausage and roll into small meatballs. Fry this with onion and then either add slices of Apple/apple sauce and fry (the slices will require longer). Add either a little water or cider and reduce down until it becomes a very syrupy sauce.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now