Talk

Advanced search

Christmas party for 30 - completely stuck for a menu

(16 Posts)
LadyPeterWimsey Thu 10-Dec-15 13:07:30

So, I need to feed thirty people for dinner and although I can think of lots of canapés and puddings, I am stuck on a main course, and until I have decided on that I can't finalise the other courses. Obviously I am going to have to do a buffet.

Previously I've done whole salmon and hams and beef and puff pastry things and winter salads but this year I'm thinking casseroles with potatoes/rice and greens because I need stuff that is really not fiddly at the last minute. I'm happy to be persuaded out of this if anyone has any other great ideas but ideally it would be something I can make the day before and reheat on the stove top. If it could be a little bit festive that would be good too.

Help!

honeysucklejasmine Thu 10-Dec-15 13:09:08

What sort of equipment do you have? Will it all need to be cooked in the hob or oven?

LadyPeterWimsey Thu 10-Dec-15 13:12:23

I can use the oven and the hob, and I have lots of big pans, including a very large cast iron casserole and a large slow cooker.

LadyPeterWimsey Thu 10-Dec-15 13:40:02

Bump

EvaBING Thu 10-Dec-15 13:49:24

Would you think of a sort of Stephen's Day style cold salad?

2 turkeys or one rather large one (sliced), 2 hams (cliced), leaves, dressings, beetroot, maybe cold boiled eggs (with some mayo and cayenne pepper over), coleslaw, a bit of grated cheese, potato salad? Fresh breads.

EvaBING Thu 10-Dec-15 13:50:17

And tomatoes! and olives.

chandeliertinseltwirler Thu 10-Dec-15 13:50:38

I would personally go for a large chilli or pulled pork in a slow cooker or similar, with loads of yummy accompaniments rather than veg, which is harder to keep warm and still tasty. It means people can help themselves and you don't have to serve people.

EvaBING Thu 10-Dec-15 13:51:20

Also - cold stuffing is yum!

Jaysis I'm starving now!

PhoenixReisling Thu 10-Dec-15 13:54:40

Beef bourguignon with mash
Braised red cabbage
Roasted ham
French baked potatoes (sliced potatoes layered with onion/bacon/garlic/parsley, which you then pour over hot chicken stock and butter)
Roasted vegetables: carrots, parsnips, onions

Some of the above could be made a few days before (braised cabbage) and reheated in the microwave).

Dancingqueen17 Thu 10-Dec-15 14:41:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LadyPeterWimsey Thu 10-Dec-15 16:26:19

I love Moroccan and often serve it so I was hoping for something different! smile

I'll think about the other suggestions. I forgot to say it needs to be dairy-free too.

thenumberseven Thu 10-Dec-15 17:30:41

Chicken Marbella
Pork cider casserole
Sausage and onion casserole
Lamb, chickpea, vegetable tagine with cous cous
Beans with chorizo
Beef sheen (or cheeks) in red wine with white rice or polenta
Beef Goulash
Carne con tomate (pork in a tomato and pepper sauce)

bookbook Thu 10-Dec-15 17:43:50

Nigellas warm lamb salad with pomegranates is fab, and feeds a lot- just bung it in and leave it smile
chicken in 40 cloves of garlic using chicken thighs is good - I tend to cook it, and freeze to reheat.
I found the only problem with something like rice is actually finding a pot big enough, and not every one eats it - I had loads left when I did mass catering for family smile They all went for the new potatoes and the garlic bread....

splodgeness Mon 14-Dec-15 18:25:05

Pulled pork served as hog roast in buns with apple sauce. I did it for 20 last year and it was brilliant.

Advantages are you do it the day before, pork is relatively cheap, serve in buns so no need for loads of accompaniments/veg, just plenty of apple sauce, everyone loved it.

I used this recipe and it was brilliant HERE

whois Mon 14-Dec-15 20:42:53

Pulled pork served as hog roast in buns with apple sauce. I did it for 20 last year and it was brilliant

Snap. Except I only did it for 15.

Cheap cut of meat comparatively, and so so tasty. I did it in the oven overnight and got amazing crackling.

Served with bread rolls, Apple sauce, stuffing and a couple of salads.

Delish.

whois Mon 14-Dec-15 20:44:11

I did a combination of HFW and the river cafe recipes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now