Talk

Advanced search

Best vegetarian sausage?

(15 Posts)
firesidechat Tue 08-Dec-15 07:45:27

I need to feed a vegetarian on Christmas Day and he would prefer meat substitutes rather than a nut roast or similar. Can anyone recommend a decent vegetarian sausage, preferably a cocktail sausage, to buy?

firesidechat Tue 08-Dec-15 07:46:42

Actually don't worry too much about the size. I would rather have one than tasted nice than get hung about about whether it looks like all the other meals.

venusinscorpio Tue 08-Dec-15 07:49:51

Cauldron do the best veggie sausages in my opinion and that of the other vegetarians I know. They are quite large though. You can get them in big supermarkets. Not keen on Quorn personally but they do cocktail sausages.

firesidechat Tue 08-Dec-15 07:55:13

I does eat Quorn, although I've heard that some are quite nice (if you like that sort of thing) and some not so much.

CwtchMeQuick Tue 08-Dec-15 07:58:20

I like the quorn cocktail sausages but I'm not keen on the proper quorn sausages.
For proper sausages I always buy Linda McCartney

firesidechat Tue 08-Dec-15 07:58:40

By "that sort of thing" I meant Quorn, which has a mixed reputation, rather than vegetarian food in general.

firesidechat Tue 08-Dec-15 08:01:09

Linda McCartney burgers are tasty. We went through a stage of buying them even though we aren't vegetarian, so the sausages might be ok too.

fieldfare Tue 08-Dec-15 08:01:27

Quorn cocktail sausages are nice as are the sausage type rolls.

According to Dd the best sausages are the Tesco Lincolnshire style sausages made with soya.

FishWithABicycle Tue 08-Dec-15 08:07:38

I think the Quorn "Best of British" ones are far and away the nicest - the wild garlic ones for preference.

I used to be a big fan of cauldron foods Lincolnshire but they have changed the recipe and they aren't as good now.

firesidechat Tue 08-Dec-15 08:10:23

Thanks Fish. Those Quorn ones get very good reviews and they sound just right.

HippyPottyMouth Tue 08-Dec-15 08:11:03

Tesco ones are my favourite.

redspottydress Tue 08-Dec-15 08:15:20

Bizarrely linda McCartney ones contain palm oil which most vegetarian would avoid due to the atrocities that happen to orangutans when it is being harvested.

venusinscorpio Tue 08-Dec-15 08:16:34

It took me a while to get used to the new Cauldron recipe, but I think I actually prefer it. I eat at least a packet of them a week! I find anything made with Quorn too artificial tasting and I don't like the texture but if no other choice the Best of British ones have the best flavour. I realise this a personal preference. The exception for me is the savoury eggs. If I buy them for lunch I can't stop myself finishing the whole box!

whois Tue 08-Dec-15 11:38:57

I like the cauldron ones, but also the Quorn best of British ones are good too. Either would be a good choice.

firesidechat Tue 08-Dec-15 11:40:59

Thanks everyone. It's so hard picking food when you don't generally eat it and I appreciate all the help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now