Talk

Advanced search

Ideas needed please for a lunch offering

(9 Posts)
TooOldforThisMalarkey Mon 07-Dec-15 21:34:42

I have just been invited to lunch with a group of friends. We meet up regularly and all bring something - bread, dips, meat platters etc.

Now, I have just realised that whereas I buy stuff to take, the others are increasingly bringing things they have made. I think I need to up my game (actually, I don't think they care really but I need to cook more so could do with the push!)

So, I am after ideas please. Nice and easy but tasty and impressive for a lunch party.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

lovemyway Mon 07-Dec-15 21:43:45

A homemade quiche is always yum and sooo much better than shop bought. Easy too especially if you buy the pastry. Try smoked salmon and broccoli or simple bacon and mushroom.
A unusual salad is also a good bet. Nigella and Jamie O have some good recipes but they often need to be assembled last minute. A couple that I can remember are parma ham and peach and the other was stilton, pear and walnut with rocket and watercress.

Whattheydonttellyou Mon 07-Dec-15 21:50:32

Home made sausage rolls. Buy the best puff pastry you can and use the best quality sausages (take off the skins!). Assemble, bake and bob's your uncle. Yum!
Also, home made scotch eggs are really yum, easy to make and if you use the thinnest amount of sausage meat to encase the egg they are even more tasty as the sausage meat and breadcrumb coating are crisper and tastier (less soggy than shop bought). You will find a good recipe for simple scotch eggs on line I am sure. If not just encase a hard boiled egg in sausage meat and coat in breadcrumbs, bake in the oven or deep fry. Cut in quarters and set out on a bed of rocket with a dish of sweet chilli dip.

Both are easy and impressive!

I totally agree about the quiche. One of my faves for taking to parties if asked to bring a plate of food. Home made is best.

TooOldforThisMalarkey Mon 07-Dec-15 22:11:14

Thanks. One of the others makes quiche but always the same one. Maybe I could try a different one. I also like the salad and sausage roll ideas.

lovemyway Tue 08-Dec-15 13:46:33

www.finecooking.com/recipes/mushroom-fontina-tart.aspx
What about this then? Slightly different than a quick and a whole lot easier. Just a pack of puff pastry topped with a few tasty bits. You could spread it with pesto or sun dried tomato paste then add extras.

lovemyway Tue 08-Dec-15 13:47:00

Than a quiche not a quick!

bilbodog Tue 08-Dec-15 15:32:15

If you take a salad you can put the dressing in the bottom of the bowl and arrange the salad on top then toss the salad when you get to your destination - stops leaves getting floppy in the dressing.

lovemyway Wed 09-Dec-15 16:14:27

Good idea about the dressing!

TooOldforThisMalarkey Thu 10-Dec-15 14:28:41

Fab ideas. Thanks ladies fsmile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now