Talk

Advanced search

How to make thick custard for trifle?

(7 Posts)
macnab Fri 04-Dec-15 22:33:35

I always make a trifle for family gatherings. I use birds custard powder so that I can get it thick enough to hold together. I used shop-bought fresh custard from M&S which is yum spooned over Apple pie etc but it was just too sloppy for my trifle!

I know the basics of making custard from scratch, but how do I make it thicker? Do I add more egg yolk? More cornflour? Use less milk?

If anyone knows for sure can you please share!

lovenancy Fri 04-Dec-15 22:46:07

I use Delia's classic trifle recipe. Double cream warmed and poured into sugar, egg yolks and cornflour, then stirred over a low heat. It thickens and is beautifully creamy.

MsRinky Sat 05-Dec-15 08:21:27

Yes, Delia has never failed me.

macnab Mon 07-Dec-15 09:26:01

It seems Delia is the goddess of custard grin

I followed her recipe and made the most delicious thick vanilla custard yesterday, and it was beautifully thick. Perfect for trifle except DH & I ate it all so will have to make a new batch

ppeatfruit Mon 07-Dec-15 14:58:06

I don't use eggs in my trifle custard I just put more custard powder in it. It works well and tastes similar to the egg one, I use extra vanilla.

ppeatfruit Mon 07-Dec-15 14:59:33

Agree about Saint Deels fgrin.

MEgirl Tue 08-Dec-15 09:26:05

I bought a pot of supermarket ready made custard from the chiller, warmed it up, added a little cornflour to thicken as it was too thin for trifle. Worked really well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now