Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Vegan curry recipes

(2 Posts)
antimatter Thu 03-Dec-15 20:01:35

Here's mine. Please dd yours if you have any.

Vegan Rogan Josh

Vegan Rogan Josh
( I used curry powder from this recipe -->>
www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/2011/05/24/homemade-rogan-josh-seasoning/
if you prefer yours mild use just 1/2 tsp of chili or cayenne pepper, I used one of each. This quantity would last for quite few batches.

Ingredients:
Chop 2 medium onions, add 2 tbsp of above curry powder, 3 cm grated ginger & 2 crushed garlic cloves. Fry using 3 tbsp of vegetable oil (I am using rapeseed lately) for about 15 min until onion is soft, on medium heat, stir frequently!
Meanwhile - open a can of good quality italian tomatoes, I found is worth paying extra 30-40 pence as cheaper brands are far too tangy. Make sure you chop them in the can if they are whole.
Peel 2 medium size sweet potatoes and chop into smallish cubes 1/1.5 cm.
Open 2 cans of chick peas, in fact this time I used 1 can of chick peas and one of cannellini beans but add cannellini just 5 min before the end of cooking as they would easily fall apart.
Add whole can of tomatoes, chick peas and 250 ml of water to onion and spice mix.
Now.... I used pressure cooker, so cooking time was perhaps 15 min, in the pan I would say allow at least 30 min. I first made sure everything boiled once, stirred it and put cover on after about 2-3 min.
After 15 min I checked that sweet potatoes were cooked and added 1 tbsp of salt flakes, use salt sparingly! V. easy to overdo whilst seasoning curries!
3/4 can of Coconut milk, less if using coconut cream, but start with a quarter of this quantity and see how you like the flavour.
Boil once more.
The dish is ready to serve. Kids prefer it with rice.
I switched lately to brown basmati rice as it has more flavour and is better for us.
You can serve it with pita bread which I warm up in a toaster.

Can add fresh coriander or some coriander pesto from a jar.

whois Fri 04-Dec-15 16:00:47

Thai curry

Adapted from BBC
www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2631/thai-squash-and-pineapple-curry

1 tbsp vegetable or sunflower oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 large red pepper, chopped
4-6 tsp Thai red curry paste
1 medium butternut squash (about 500g) peeled, deseeded and cut into chunks
1 x 400ml can coconut milk
250g green beans (fresh or frozen) chop/snap them into thirds
400g can pineapples chunks in natural juice, drained
coriander leaves, chopped, and leaves to garnish

Chop everything
Heat the oil in a wok or pan.
Fry the onion for 5 mins until softened, add the red pepper and fry for 2 more mins. Stir in the red curry paste, then add the squash, coconut milk.
Simmer for 10 mins covered, add the green beans and simmer for 5 more mins. Can add a dash of water if it is looking like it needs it.
Stir in the pineapple and coriander, cooking for just a few mins until the pineapple heats through.
Sprinkle with the coriander leaves and serve the curry in bowls with rice.

Notes on thai red curry paste:
Make your own vegan Thai red curry paste: www.connoisseurusveg.com/2014/08/thai-red-curry-paste.html
Buy a veggie one (not strictly vegan):
www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=268578556

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now