Talk

Advanced search

Fresh Prawns

(6 Posts)
Guwahati Thu 03-Dec-15 07:29:29

I have been living out of the UK for a while and due to return soon. Since I've been away, I've discovered a love for fresh whole prawns, which I can buy at any local supermarket relatively cheaply (about £0.90/100g for good sized prawns, similar to tiger prawns), so I buy them all the time.

Coming back to the UK, can anyone tell me how much it would cost to buy them in a local fishmongers? Do they even sell them fresh in the supermarkets or are they just pre-packed? I never used to buy them so have no idea.

MelanieCheeks Thu 03-Dec-15 07:32:09

You can buy them at supermarkets - most of the big ones will have a fresh fish counter. They're not cheap, though.

cdtaylornats Thu 03-Dec-15 11:20:37

Fresh king prawns from Tesco counter are £1.40 per 100g.

Guwahati Thu 03-Dec-15 13:50:18

Ooh thank you! £1.40 isn't as terrible as I thought it might be to feed my addiction.

peekaboo1 Fri 04-Dec-15 17:32:35

In the UK the majority of "fresh" prawns at supermarket fish counters and even at fishmongers are previously frozen and just thawed out. You have to ask or read the label very carefully for them to admit this. If you are comparing them to truly fresh prawns you find in Asia etc, they have no taste and texture and are rubbish. Unfortunately they are all you get generally. Sometimes you can find fresh fresh prawns but you will be paying £££ for them.
Sorry confused

WowOoo Fri 04-Dec-15 17:37:48

My fishmonger told me that the 'fresh' prawns I buy from him have to be frozen on the boat and kept frozen until they can be put out on ice.

These ones are definitely nicer than the supermarket ones. I think it's because they are much fresher than supermarket ones. They were more expensive than supermarket ones anyway.

I can't remember what I paid last time from the fishmonger but we all wanted more than I'd bought and could afford.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now