Talk

Advanced search

Another slow cooker thread! Expertise much appreciated for a noob.

(21 Posts)
GnocchiGnocchiWhosThere Tue 01-Dec-15 11:28:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

cdtaylornats Tue 01-Dec-15 12:42:28

There are various things you could try -
Diluted red wine vinegar
Balsamic vinegar
Verjuice

GnocchiGnocchiWhosThere Tue 01-Dec-15 12:47:18

PhilMckrakin Tue 01-Dec-15 12:50:57

I never brown anything before I put it in the slow cooker and in my opinion it makes no difference to the taste. The stew will be cooking for so long the onions will be lovely and soft by the time it's done. No need to cook them first.

frikadela01 Tue 01-Dec-15 12:51:57

Chuck all raw ingredients in and switch on is the extent of most of my slow cooker meals. I never pre fry anything and I've never had a complaint. Can't comment on the wine as I never use it.

HelenF35 Tue 01-Dec-15 12:55:40

The alcohol will still bubble off it will just take longer, but you are cooking it for longer. Alcohol evaporates at 78 degrees, slow cookers tend to cook around 87-90 degrees on low.

Freeandsinglewater Tue 01-Dec-15 13:13:40

Could I cook a roast in a slow cooker?

dreamingofsun Tue 01-Dec-15 14:04:25

you can cook joints. they don't brown though. if you have an oven you can put them in for 30 mins at the end to brown. whole chickens work well for many on here, but not in my slow cooker - they are dry on outside and raw in centre. however, other joints of meat are great, especially the tougher cheaper ones

GnocchiGnocchiWhosThere Wed 02-Dec-15 14:57:44

dreamingofsun Wed 02-Dec-15 15:51:51

pancetta is one of the few things i do brown - otherwise you would just a load on unattractive white fat.

thigh is good. slow cookers are what the say - long and slow - so its the same as an oven - the tougher cuts tend to be better, but you can still use chicken breast

KeepPloddingOn Wed 02-Dec-15 16:00:51

Definitely don't use chicken breast. It will turn out really dry and chewy.

Cheaper cuts definitely work best.

GnocchiGnocchiWhosThere Wed 02-Dec-15 16:21:02

GlowWine Wed 02-Dec-15 16:27:54

Yes. In fact I make a point of deboning before serving as it's all falling apart already. Make sure you take the skin off before cooking though.

GnocchiGnocchiWhosThere Wed 02-Dec-15 16:49:07

TheLesserSpottedBee Thu 03-Dec-15 10:34:01

I regularly cook chicken curry. salsa chicken and jambalaya without prawns so just chicken & chorizo with veg obviously.

Both times I use pre-frozen chicken breast and then shred the chicken at the end of the cooking time. It certainly isn't rubbery or dried out just tender and falls apart.

All those recipes are cooked in a tomato based sauce with different spices and I have never had an issue. Maybe it is the commercially frozen breast that makes the difference.

jessplussomeonenew Thu 03-Dec-15 10:54:19

"Slow cooked" suggests making a huge batch of caramelised onions in the slow cooker and then freezing them in portions to use later - has been really handy! And you can get bacon to brown in the microwave (google it) so might be able to do pancetta too.

GnocchiGnocchiWhosThere Thu 03-Dec-15 15:56:22

jessplussomeonenew Thu 03-Dec-15 16:05:17

There are some great recipes - curries in particular have been great.

MumOfTheMoment Thu 03-Dec-15 16:07:09

If you are on Facebook join the "slow cooked wonders" group. Lots of great ideas and recipies.

GnocchiGnocchiWhosThere Thu 03-Dec-15 16:22:09

IHeartIona Thu 03-Dec-15 16:47:54

6 hours on low for chicken breast and no more or it can get a bit dry

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now