Talk

Advanced search

Why didn't my Camembert melt?

(11 Posts)
UnGoogleable Sat 28-Nov-15 00:53:15

I made baked Camembert - I've done it loads of times before, it's always delicious.

This time, it came out all jellied. Didn't melt. So I put it back in the oven for another 10 mins, and it was still the same.

Did I do something wrong, or was it just a dud camembert?

TakesTwoToTango Sat 28-Nov-15 15:25:16

I suspect you accidentally over cooked it - if you miss the melt 'window' by a minute it starts to solidify.

UnGoogleable Sat 28-Nov-15 20:33:13

There's a melt window? I never knew! I thought you just baked it till it melted and then it stayed melted!

I've done it loads of times before and have never timed it, I must have fluked it every time!

dingit Sat 28-Nov-15 20:46:17

I've found that the Tescos own brand melts better than the posher one (Presidente I think it's called)

UnGoogleable Sat 28-Nov-15 20:53:56

Hmm mine was from Lidl, but I've successfully melted that brand before!

Maybe it was a dud. It was minging.

HoneyDragon Sat 28-Nov-15 20:55:55

I had too like that from lidl recently, I put it down to weirdness now I blame Lidl

UnGoogleable Sat 28-Nov-15 20:58:50

So annoying. It's my 'go to' dinner party easy favourite - so thank goodness it was just me and DH eating it this time. If I'd served that to someone I'd have been mortified!

dingit Sat 28-Nov-15 21:00:26

The Aldi one works!

WorldsBiggestGrotbag Sun 29-Nov-15 00:20:38

This happens to us sometimes too and we can never figure out why!

987flowers Sun 29-Nov-15 08:38:21

I was going to come on and ask the same as this is happening to me at the moment so I'm wondering if there's a downgrading in Camembert? I also buy from lidl and will now stop as the last 2 have gone funny, definitely not over melting it's just so annoying! Think I'll have to try a different brand. It's very frustrating (she says realising it's a first world problem!)

IHaveBrilloHair Sun 29-Nov-15 17:56:04

I'd assume it wasn't ripe enough, but no idea really

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now