Talk

Advanced search

Why didn't my Camembert melt?

(18 Posts)
UnGoogleable Sat 28-Nov-15 00:53:15

I made baked Camembert - I've done it loads of times before, it's always delicious.

This time, it came out all jellied. Didn't melt. So I put it back in the oven for another 10 mins, and it was still the same.

Did I do something wrong, or was it just a dud camembert?

OP’s posts: |
TakesTwoToTango Sat 28-Nov-15 15:25:16

I suspect you accidentally over cooked it - if you miss the melt 'window' by a minute it starts to solidify.

UnGoogleable Sat 28-Nov-15 20:33:13

There's a melt window? I never knew! I thought you just baked it till it melted and then it stayed melted!

I've done it loads of times before and have never timed it, I must have fluked it every time!

dingit Sat 28-Nov-15 20:46:17

I've found that the Tescos own brand melts better than the posher one (Presidente I think it's called)

UnGoogleable Sat 28-Nov-15 20:53:56

Hmm mine was from Lidl, but I've successfully melted that brand before!

Maybe it was a dud. It was minging.

HoneyDragon Sat 28-Nov-15 20:55:55

I had too like that from lidl recently, I put it down to weirdness now I blame Lidl

UnGoogleable Sat 28-Nov-15 20:58:50

So annoying. It's my 'go to' dinner party easy favourite - so thank goodness it was just me and DH eating it this time. If I'd served that to someone I'd have been mortified!

dingit Sat 28-Nov-15 21:00:26

The Aldi one works!

WorldsBiggestGrotbag Sun 29-Nov-15 00:20:38

This happens to us sometimes too and we can never figure out why!

987flowers Sun 29-Nov-15 08:38:21

I was going to come on and ask the same as this is happening to me at the moment so I'm wondering if there's a downgrading in Camembert? I also buy from lidl and will now stop as the last 2 have gone funny, definitely not over melting it's just so annoying! Think I'll have to try a different brand. It's very frustrating (she says realising it's a first world problem!)

IHaveBrilloHair Sun 29-Nov-15 17:56:04

I'd assume it wasn't ripe enough, but no idea really

TheDogmother1905 Sun 10-Jun-18 17:37:30

I know this is a old thread but in case anyone else wonders upon it...

There are 2 types of Camembert
: pasteurized and unpasteurized

Only unpasteurized Camembert will melt!

barrett5 Fri 08-Feb-19 13:31:18

how come Ive just bouht a pasurised camembert from Sainsburys and it says on the box ideal for baking? ( or words to that effect)

DameSquashalot Fri 03-Jan-20 16:23:16

My Lidl baked camembert...

WeirdPookah Sat 04-Jan-20 21:33:25

We had the Lidl wreath with Camembert inside, it wasn't good. It was meant to be doughballs, but was rolls, and the cheese didn't melt either.

circleorsquare Sat 04-Jan-20 21:50:36

Well I had a la rustic one for my birthday (family joke). It was a big one so I halved it and put it in my Camembert pot, it baked beautifully!!! I was surprised as in the past they haven't baked at all

catinb0oots Sun 05-Jan-20 10:27:11

@DameSquashalot that's exactly how my Aldi one went 🤮

DameSquashalot Sun 05-Jan-20 22:35:50

@catinb0oots I was so gutted.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »