Talk

Advanced search

Help me love beetroot

(30 Posts)
Maplessglobe Fri 27-Nov-15 09:55:27

Hello, kind mumsnetters
I failed to cancel beetroot from my veg box, and I'm not a fan.
Yesterday I made a winter slaw with some of it and it was great because the flavour was masked by all the other ingredients
I still have lots. What can I make?

I was eyeing up beet brownies but I once made a red velvet cake with beetroot in that everyone said tasted of beetroot and was thrown out

Neither DH or I liked beetroot curry.

Beetroot risotto any good? If so, is it better when roasted first or do you just grate it in?

I am vegan but DH and kids not, so veggie recipes where you could add cheese etc later are good.

WhoKnowsWhereTheTimeG0es Fri 27-Nov-15 09:58:50

Been there! It's nice shredded in green salad. And it keeps for ages in the fridge (whole ). But I have tried three different beetroot cake recipes and they have all tasted of beetroot, not to our liking at all. I sometimes just give them away.

NoahVale Fri 27-Nov-15 10:00:00

i grate it into all sorts of things, along with carrot, and cook.
i roast and eat cold.

BertrandRussell Fri 27-Nov-15 10:04:26

Put it in a big dish of roasted vegetables and serve it very carefully so you don't get any!

Pickle some and give it to people for Christmas presents.

Leave it out for the reindeer on Christmas Eve- they must get so fed up with carrots.

80sWaistcoat Fri 27-Nov-15 10:15:44

Raw in a coleslaw is probably the best bet. I roast it and eat it with goats cheese as that's a strong taste.

A friend used to make beetroot in cheese sauce - but is was too pink for me to eat. A thinly sliced layer with other veg in a gratin might be nice.

TPel Fri 27-Nov-15 10:17:38

Roasted beetroot is the food of the gods.

WhoKnowsWhereTheTimeG0es Fri 27-Nov-15 10:45:37

See I'm not keen on roasted veg full stop (or any sort of cooking that makes them sweeter, such as honey glazes), so that's not the answer for me. Pickled beetroot is quite nice in small quantities though.

BertrandRussell Fri 27-Nov-15 11:26:38

Roasted vegetables with Harissa and really lemony cous cous...I really want that now!

Maplessglobe Fri 27-Nov-15 12:32:02

Thanks, everyone.

Hmmm I like roasted veg and have tried to like roasted beetroot but I just don't

I do like beetroot crisps but I cba with mandoline and deep frying

The risotto not nice then?

I guess they keep well so we could make slaw every few days!

GlowWine Fri 27-Nov-15 12:57:25

The do keep well, I've got some in my fridge that were dug up at least a month ago.

But I came here to say that this recipe for beetroot brownies has been a hit with everyone around here, my veg-hating kids (they knew it was beetroot), my colleagues, and I get asked to make it over and over again. Need to add that I make it with 50/50 milk and dark chocolate.
www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/749700/beetroot-brownies

And a nice curry (but does not mask the flavour overly much)
www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/slow-cooked-beetroot-beef-curry-chukandar-gosht

Frolicacid Fri 27-Nov-15 13:00:06

Roasted beetroot and butternut squash in a warm salad with feta cheese is one of out favourite meals.

WhoKnowsWhereTheTimeG0es Fri 27-Nov-15 14:57:13

Those BBC Goid Food Brownies ended up in the bin here sad.

SunnySomer Fri 27-Nov-15 15:01:37

The Riverford beetroot brownies www.riverford.co.uk/hrr/recipes/view/recipe/chocolate-beetroot-brownies are absolutely gorgeous, don't taste beetrooty at all. I like risotto too, with goats cheese crumbled over, or salad with roasted cubes of beetroot, goats cheese or feta and some roasted cumin seeds and maybe sunflower seeds

Callmecordelia Fri 27-Nov-15 15:02:07

I love this, but it is undeniably beetrooty - not much masking of the flavour. www.nigella.com/recipes/view/raw-beetroot-dill-and-mustard-seed-salad-218

JamNan Fri 27-Nov-15 15:40:06

This is nice

Roasted Beet & Barley Salad
Makes: 6 servings, about 1 1/4 cups each
Active Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours

INGREDIENTS
1 1/4 pounds baby beets (10 to 15, depending on size)
6 cups water
3/4 cup pearled barley, rinsed (you could use freekeh or other whole grains/rice)
1 1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
1/4 cup cider vinegar
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 1/2 tablespoons whole-grain mustard
1 tablespoon honey or agave nectar
Freshly ground pepper to taste
1 cup thinly sliced celery
1 cup thinly sliced radishes
1/4 cup thinly sliced scallions
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
1/2 cup walnuts or pecans, toasted (see Tip), coarsely chopped

PREPARATION
Preheat oven to 400°F.
Scrub beets under running water. Wrap the damp beets in heavy-duty foil (or a double layer of foil), crimping it closed to make a packet. Place in the oven and roast the beets until tender when pierced with a fork, 1 to 1 1/2 hours, depending on the size. Unwrap; when cool enough to handle, slip off the skins with your fingers. Cut the beets in quarters lengthwise.

Meanwhile, combine water, barley and 3/4 teaspoon salt in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to maintain a bare simmer and cook, uncovered, until the barley is tender, but still chewy, 40 to 50 minutes. Drain well and spread out on a baking sheet to cool.
Whisk vinegar, oil, mustard, honey (or agave), pepper and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt in a large bowl. Add the beets, celery, radishes and scallions; toss to coat. Let the vegetables marinate in the dressing for about 15 minutes. Stir in the barley.

Just before serving, stir in basil and top with nuts. You could add goat's cheese or feta, hard boiled eggs maybe. And there is no reason why you can't serve this warm.

Maplessglobe Fri 27-Nov-15 17:53:55

Thank you. The salad sounds good. Any other ideas?
A bit scared to try more brownies/cake based on the mixed reviews!

PedantPending Fri 27-Nov-15 18:51:33

Beetroot gratin like potato gratin, but with sliced beetroot.
Coarsely grated as a salad with horseradish in the dressing to counter the "earthy" taste.
Beetroot casseroled with game is delicious and something in the beetroot makes the meat beautifully tender.
Boiled or baked beetroot in cheese sauce.

CallingAllEmergencyKittens Fri 27-Nov-15 19:08:04

Use it to add depth to a tomato sauce- so add some finely diced beetroot to finely chopped carrots/onions/pepper/garlic as the basis for a pasta sauce.

Also, peel it, sprinkle with chopped parsley, wrap in foil, roast in the oven and serve with a roast.

OldCrowMedicineShow Fri 27-Nov-15 19:12:44

Dice a cooked beetroot, add a very finely chopped 1/2 onion and cover with strawberry jelly. Leave jelly to set and eat as a side dish.

FineKnacksForLadies Fri 27-Nov-15 21:46:50

This is shockingly purple but the most delicious dip and the cumin, walnuts etc do disguise the beetroot-y ness. I usually quarter small ones or chop big ones down, roast them with plenty of s+p and olive oil and then use them in this recipe - don't boil them as it just makes them too watery for this (and roasting will bring out the sweetness too smile) ink{https://cooked.com/uk/Hugh-Fearnley-Whittingstall/Bloomsbury-Publishing-Plc/River-Cottage-Every-Day/Weekday-lunchbox/Beetroot-and-walnut-hummus-recipe\cooked.com/uk/Hugh-Fearnley-Whittingstall/Bloomsbury-Publishing-Plc/River-Cottage-Every-Day/Weekday-lunchbox/Beetroot-and-walnut-hummus-recip]]e} failing that, just start on the winebefore dinner?!

Artandco Fri 27-Nov-15 21:50:55

I just eat them sliced with cheese. Can have with crackers or bread

whois Fri 27-Nov-15 22:35:08

Beetroot risotto is nice. Grate it raw and add at the frying onion stage. Stir in lots of fresh dill and lemon juice towards the end of cooking. Nice with goats cheese for the non vegans. Top with toasted walnuts.

Gileswithachainsaw Fri 27-Nov-15 22:38:22

HFW'S beetroot tarte tatin is scummy! !!

it calls for baby beets but I have made it with sliced beetroot

whois Fri 27-Nov-15 22:38:45

I've also used beetroot in a lentil veggie Shepard pie type thing which was nice - couldn't detect the beetroot flavour. Can't remember the exact recipe.

Also I've made a beet bourginion stew which was delish - lots of other veg and herbs to not be too beetrooty.

I bet if you grated them with grated potato and fried them into a rosti you wouldn't really taste too beetrooty.

whois Fri 27-Nov-15 22:39:36

HFW'S beetroot tarte tatin is scummy!

^this

You have to do it with he shallot parsley dressing tho as that totally makes the dish. Redic delish.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now