Talk

Advanced search

Dinner ideas for dd (4) and I please?

(13 Posts)
surprisearrival Tue 24-Nov-15 17:05:27

Hi there, looking for some dinner ideas please! It's just my daughter and I and she doesn't have a massive appetite. I'm a bit stuck in a rut of spaghetti bolognaise, chicken casserole, chicken pie, beef stew, fish or chicken goujons, shepherds pie..she loves pasta and rice, most veg except mushrooms and onions (but will eat if in a sauce or just push to the side). She does have school dinners at lunchtime so doesn't need to be a big dinner, just something new!

Any ideas welcomed and appreciated thank you!!

PhoenixReisling Tue 24-Nov-15 17:32:59

Soup like a minestrone served with garlic bread

Macaroni/cauliflower cheese (with ham or bacon)

Quesadillas (Mexican soft tortilla, stuffed with chicken (cooked before)/peppers/ tomato sauce and cheese. This is then pan fried on either side and it could be served with salad/crudités).

Chicken noodle stir fry (with sweet corn and shredded cabbage)

Omelette?

surprisearrival Tue 24-Nov-15 17:38:23

Thank you Phoenix! Have done the top two but not Quesadillas (which is really silly of me as she loves every thing in them!)...and stir fry is fab idea, I tend to do that for myself. I eat later than her, but do think she'd enjoy it X

Jw35 Tue 24-Nov-15 17:53:23

Sausage & mash
Quiche and salad
Homemade pizza
Meatballs & spaghetti
Tomato soup and cheese on toast
Boiled eggs and soldiers
Wraps with chicken/ham & salad
Tuna pasta (pasta, tuna, tinned tomatoes, mixed veg and an oxo cube)
Chicken & sweet potato wedges
Macaroni cheese
Jacket potatoes
French toast (eggy bread) & fruit

hufflebottom Tue 24-Nov-15 18:11:04

I do fajitas, there's always too much so get a pizza base and do a chicken fajita pizza.

Stir fry is a favourite in our house.

surprisearrival Tue 24-Nov-15 19:53:11

Thank you! Lovely ideas, think I need to re-try dd with tuna, I love it but she didn't! Yum fajitas, never tried her with them! Need to get a bit more adventurous with her! Silly as she loves strong flavours and spice so don't know why i haven't! X

Bigpants4 Tue 24-Nov-15 19:56:14

What do you want to eat? I would be cooking nice adult meals for myself and serving a portion to her.

PhoenixReisling Tue 24-Nov-15 20:40:10

Curry (a mild and fruity one)? My four year old DD likes eating this with rice/popadoms/nan bread (or combo of all).

CwtchMeQuick Tue 24-Nov-15 20:46:46

DS (3) and I often have something quick on nursery/work days such as jacket potato, beans on toast, soup etc.
Days off or when I use the slow cooker we have:
Sausage and mash
Curry and rice with poppadoms
Mild chilli with rice and tortilla chips
Fajitas
Enchiladas and salad
Lasagne and garlic bread
Pasta bake
Chicken breast with nandos flavouring and potato wedges
Cauliflower and broccoli cheese with jacket potato (DS' favourite)

surprisearrival Tue 24-Nov-15 22:21:09

Thank you!

Big pants, I try to eat with her as I have lovely memories of family meal times and don't really want her to miss out! I occasionally do her a omelet or easy meal, and eat myself later something very spicy like a Thai curry or spicy stir fry.

Thank you for ideas! I've been feeling guilty my repotoire isn't vast and these are brilliant suggestions for easy post school dinners! X

Allalonenow Tue 24-Nov-15 22:47:51

Make the omelette into more of a meal by trying Spanish omelette (good for using up left overs) or a cheese version.

Maybe try some Moroccan flavours in a chicken stew, with chopped up apricots or sultanas or dates? It's a very mild spicey taste, not hot, and you could serve it with cous-cous, nice and quick to make.

Risotto was a favourite here with young DS, often chicken and peas, or a lamb and apricot pilaf was another favourite.

Add some diced bacon or sausage to cauliflower or macaroni cheese for a bit of interesting texture.

Bacon and bean or potato and leek soups were always winter stand bys, and even a small helping is filling for a little one.

surprisearrival Tue 24-Nov-15 22:50:18

Thank you xxxx

Allalonenow Tue 24-Nov-15 22:52:02

smile xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now