Talk

Advanced search

Lentils in slow-cooked chilli??

(12 Posts)
TigerTeatime Thu 19-Nov-15 13:27:14

Hello, I am a bit baffled about how to do this! I keep reading that you can add lentils to bulk chilli con carne out.

But do you just throw in a dry handful at the start or at another time? And will any lentils do - I have dry red and dry brown lentils in the cupboard?

Many thanks

Kraggle Thu 19-Nov-15 13:28:39

I just throw a handful or 2 of dried red lentils into chilli, bolonaise etc. Maybe add a tad more liquid to compensate.

fuzzywuzzy Thu 19-Nov-15 13:34:17

I would chuck in the lentils at the same time as the meat so it cooks properly.

It tastes really nice (I was surprised).

I've only ever used the little red lentils and they have turned out yum, I've used more or less depending on how much meat we had.

HeyMacWey Thu 19-Nov-15 13:35:20

Red lentils are good - I've starting using tinned green lentils as I think they hold their shape better.
I put them in chilli, shep pie etc

IHeartIona Thu 19-Nov-15 13:41:18

I put them in at the start in my slow cooker with the other ingredients, just make sure you have enough liquid as they absorb a lot

TigerTeatime Thu 19-Nov-15 13:57:37

Brilliant, thanks. Red lentils it is then and I will add some extra stock to give enough liquid. Have to say I love red lentils!

FiveShelties Thu 19-Nov-15 15:42:28

I did this on Monday, wondering if we may either have to fish the lentils out or head for the chippy, but it was lovely. I used dried red lentils right at the start of cooking and added a little more liquid half way through.

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 22-Nov-15 18:11:35

The ethnic food aisle in the supermarkets do huge 2kg bags of red lentils for pennies.

Good for bulking out a lot of dishes. Dh has never noticed the difference but I've noticed he's fuller for longer afterwards.

Luxyelectro Sun 22-Nov-15 18:13:36

I love lentils. I made chicken casserole on my new sc and chucked a load in. Just more liquid. It makes a more substantial 'sauce' too. Yum

piebald Mon 23-Nov-15 08:04:30

I often put them in mince dishes, really nice

Bunbaker Mon 23-Nov-15 08:13:47

I make Nigella's rapid ragu quite often, and that has red lentils in. It is delicious. Her online recipe states green lentils, but when she made it on TV she used red lentils.

NoahVale Mon 23-Nov-15 08:18:13

sometimes I puree chick peas and add them to dishes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now