Talk

Advanced search

Duck breasts- what do you do with yours?

(10 Posts)
Howaboutthisone Wed 18-Nov-15 15:37:20

I bought some as they were on offer but now not sure of the menu to plan around them or how to best cook them. Any recommendations?

Howaboutthisone Wed 18-Nov-15 17:17:40

Anyone?

BetterTogether Wed 18-Nov-15 17:25:21

I always sear mine (fat side down) in a frying pan first, then roast (fat side up) until cooked (can't remember timings, sorry). I normally just serve mine with a load of sliced cabbage/spring greens, sometimes with mini roast potatoes too. And some kind of fruity (cherry or orange?) sauce - tbh I tend to buy the packs that already come with a sauce sachet to make it easier! Mmm, lucky, I love duck! smile

wonkylegs Wed 18-Nov-15 17:41:40

This www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/251627/roasted-duck-breast-with-plum-sauce is an awesome recipie. I serve with mashed potatoes, peas and spinach. It's a really yummy recipie and even 7yo DS loves it

Howaboutthisone Wed 18-Nov-15 18:40:33

Thank you! Plum sauce sounds like a great plan.

Greaterthanthesumoftheparts Wed 18-Nov-15 18:43:12

Cut through the fat (but not through to the meat) at around 1 cm intervals. Put fat side down in a cold frying pan without any oil, fry on medium heat for 12 mins, turn over and fry for three minutes. Wrap in foil and leav to rest for 10 mins, slice and serve.

Howaboutthisone Wed 18-Nov-15 19:46:34

I think I'll buy some ready done plum sauce and have some spinach and mini roasts with them. Then I'll follow the duck cooking instructions you've posted.
Thank you!

cdtaylornats Wed 18-Nov-15 22:02:38

Hoi Sin Sauce is wonderful - essentially chinese plum sauce

Allalonenow Wed 18-Nov-15 22:26:37

I score the fat in a criss cross pattern and rub in some English mustard powder. Slice an onion thinly and two or three garlic cloves and make a layer with these in a small roasting dish. put the duck on top, fat side up, and pop into a hot oven.
If I have some apple or pear I dice it up and add around the edge or the roaster, or a drizzle of honey over the duck is good too.
Roast briefly, serve with the onions etc and a green salad or buttery mashed potato. Puree of sprouts, or grated courgette briefly cooked in butter also go well with it.
Redcurrant jelly or cranberry sauce works well with this dish, and if you have time you could make a jus with the onions & garlic and a good splosh of red wine.

whois Thu 19-Nov-15 13:06:59

Pan fried, ge crispy skin. Serve with a port or red wine jus, mash and greens.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now