Talk

Advanced search

Fenugreek ... For milk supply

(8 Posts)
babyconverse Tue 17-Nov-15 08:02:31

Not sure whether to post this here or in infant feeding but hoping someone can help..

I have fenugreek seeds in the cupboard and understand that fenugreek can help boost milk supply but not sure how to prepare them so I get the benefit. I'd normally just put them in a curry but my mum has convinced me that curry will give my son wind (not convinced but now don't want to eat it!) any ideas what I can do with it or do I need to just go and buy fenugreek in another form?

cdtaylornats Tue 17-Nov-15 09:04:32

You might want to check a site called WebMD or similar for the side effects of fenugreek.

babyconverse Tue 17-Nov-15 09:19:52

Thank you! I'd read it was good for milk supply - but hadn't checked for side effects! Can't believe how much dodgy info is out there ....

VeryPunny Tue 17-Nov-15 09:31:21

I took fenugreek capsules (from Holland and Barratt) for milk supply - took about 6 a day. There's a lot of arse covering - both my GP and lactation consultant actively promoted fenugreek to help.

JamNan Tue 17-Nov-15 10:08:24

There were some threads on MN a couple of years ago.

here

and here.

Sorry no advice to offer except be aware of side possible effects.

Drladybird Tue 17-Nov-15 21:32:29

The breastfeeding network have a paragraph on fenugreek in this doc:
www.breastfeedingnetwork.org.uk/wp-content/dibm/Galactogogues.pdf

Very helpful pages here too:
kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastfeed/herbs/fenugreek/

harrasseddotcom Tue 17-Nov-15 21:41:23

i took fenugreek when i was bf. I bought capsules from Holland and Barret. However its like i got immune to them and by the end i was taking 24 a day. No side effects apart from being bloody skint lol! I then got my gp to prescribe domperidome as it also works, didnt have to take as much and it was free on prescription.

BugPlaster Wed 18-Nov-15 06:58:30

I took it for a short while (capsules) but I got put off by the rancid smell and gave up before it had a chance to work. If it was ever going to work. You have to take so much that I doubt your seeds would do anything.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now