Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Easy healthy oven meals

(16 Posts)
chumbler Mon 16-Nov-15 20:50:19

Hi, am very short on time for a while and have (baby led weaning) baby to entertain so looking for ideas for quick, healthy dinners. E.g. today we had chicken fillets which I cooked in foil with some garlic, sweet potato chips (ready diced) and roasted leeks. So all very healthy but literally only had to throw it in the oven. Also thought I could cook fish in foil, but any other use ideas? Thanks all!

MoonlightandMusic Mon 16-Nov-15 21:40:27

Baked whole sweet potato is always good - serve up with sour cream and chopped bacon. (Bacon can also be left in the oven to cook, rather than using up a separate pan).

While not exactly completely oven-based, omelette is another quick one, particularly if you need to use up potato/cheese/veg leftovers.

MrsBertMacklin Mon 16-Nov-15 21:45:07

This takes an hour in the oven but the prep is 15 minutes absolute tops.

Chicken chorizo traybake - is that the sort of thing you're after?

80sWaistcoat Mon 16-Nov-15 21:53:38

The same as above but put fish in for only ten mins at end.

Brown onions and celery and garlic with chorizo, Chop up chicken thighs and brown and then add smoked paprika and chickpeas, some sherry and ton of toms. Put in oven for 40 mins.

laundryeverywhere Mon 16-Nov-15 21:56:55

Nigellas Halloumi bake www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/nigella-lawson/double-potato-and-halloumi-bake-recipe.html

chumbler Mon 16-Nov-15 22:03:23

Ah yes love the bake ideas!

Also wondering about using my slow cooker, again just for quick, healthy things! And not averse to buying my veg ready chopped as only living like this for a short while

Alwayssunny Mon 16-Nov-15 22:10:48

Quickly fry off chopped onions (buy the frozen ready chopped they are great time saver),garlic, chicken chunks (thigh or breast) and then some red thai curry paste.
Stir thru basmati rice , juice from a lime, handful of green beans or mange tout and sugar snaps, and a tin of coconut milk and a bit of water. You can't go too wrong with the quantities really. Bung in oven. About 40mins til rice cooked.

Stir few big teaspoons of Dijon mustard into a small tub of creme fraiche.
Cover chicken breasts or pork chops, wrap in foil making a tent and bake in oven til meat cooked.

Smear a tortilla wrap with red pesto then top with grated cheese and then another tortilla and dry fry a minute or so each side til lightly toasted and cut into 1/4s.
You can put cooked chicken in the middle too.

Cook pasta, drain, stir in cooked chicken, steamed broccoli and/or peas, and a big dollop of green pesto.

Alwayssunny Mon 16-Nov-15 22:11:58

Soup- put any leftover chopped veg and herbs in a big pan with stock and red lentils. Cook. Blend.

lastqueenofscotland Tue 17-Nov-15 10:58:32

One I really like is halved cheery tomato, red onion, peppers, courgette roasted with some garlic cloves, olive oil salt pepper and herbs. Then when roasted mix wore some chickpeas, crumble some feta and have with balsamic vinegar and olive oil, very yummy very easy and actually very filling. Could have it as a side with something but I often have a big bowl of it for dinner

chumbler Tue 17-Nov-15 15:17:10

That sounds lovely, last

Potterwolfie Tue 17-Nov-15 15:21:47

Marking place, brilliant ideas!

Gasp0deTheW0nderD0g Tue 17-Nov-15 15:28:30

I love this kind of food. I know you meant cherry tomatoes, lastqueen, but I do love the idea of cheery tomatoes! grin

We often have something very similar to your idea. Red onions (or ordinary), courgettes, peppers (red/yellow/orange), aubergine - all in chunks/slices. Mix with a lot of olive oil, chopped garlic, basil, oregano, salt, pepper. Roast at a very high temperature in a big roasting tin (or several baking trays - don't squash the vegetables up, they need room so they roast and don't steam). When nicely toasted and soft, mix with cooked chick peas and a tin of chopped tomatoes or some passata, ideally with a spoonful of sundried tomato paste as well. Lovely with brown rice or white basmati rice. Would also be great with couscous or pasta.

You can add mushrooms as well, but they need less time in the oven. Also, if you don't bother with the chickpeas, this goes very well with ovenbaked chicken thighs. I sprinkle them with generous amounts of jerk spice or fajita seasoning but that's all. I don't put them in foil as I like the crispy skin.

Dancingqueen17 Tue 17-Nov-15 19:18:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Chocolateteabag Tue 17-Nov-15 22:14:56

this recipe for baked eggs with mushrooms and Gruyere cheese is fab. You do need to cook the mushrooms first but it's vv simple.
Quite messy but great for those really cold evenings with a good fire.

sashh Wed 18-Nov-15 06:06:12

Not the most healthy - and you really need to add a green veg or a salad.

thin slices of potato, pork steaks, apple sauce, packet of stuffing.

Make up the stuffing, put the potatoes in the bottom of a greased dish, put the pork on top, spread the apple sauce over, top with the stuffing and put in the oven for 30 - 40 mins.

chumbler Wed 18-Nov-15 14:16:40

Some lovely dishes thanks all!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now