Talk

Advanced search

8x People not meat or shell fish

(24 Posts)
PositivePete Mon 16-Nov-15 19:52:59

FFS ....

So, a veggie and an allergic to shell fish coming for lunch.

8x people

Hit me with your thoughts?!?!

defineme Mon 16-Nov-15 19:55:35

I would either make veggie curry or do buffet of nice cheese, quiche, salad etc.

ishouldcocoa Mon 16-Nov-15 19:59:07

YY to a veg curry and a meat curry with lots of other 'pick and mix' offerings on the side such as poppadoms, naans, pickles etc etc.

Or do salmon wrapped in a filo parcel with a bit of sauce, and a veggie one on the side? With veg to accompany...

Coletterbox Mon 16-Nov-15 20:19:48

This is a lovely veg curry - don't really miss the meat! www.eatdrinkcook.co.uk/recipe-creamy-coconut-butternut-squash-curry/

lastqueenofscotland Mon 16-Nov-15 20:20:12

I'd do lots of currys - a generic veg one, paneer one, Bombay potatoes, Dahl rice and naan.

anothernumberone Mon 16-Nov-15 20:21:52

I would make a Thai curry and cook some chicken to throw into it after I played up for the veggie

Coletterbox Mon 16-Nov-15 20:21:56

Oh - or this is a really lovely quiche and feeds a crowd - www.eatdrinkcook.co.uk/recipe-smoked-haddock-quiche/

paddlenorapaddle Mon 16-Nov-15 20:27:23

Ooh pearl barley and beetroot risotto with goats cheese

whois Tue 17-Nov-15 13:25:40

So if everyone is going to eat the same thing the shellfish allergy is irrelevant since the veggie can;t eat shellfish anyway ;-)

Loads of things are veggie.

Soups
Pasta & sauce
Rissoto
Curry
Tagines

Just think of something you like to eat that is veggie and make that.

PositivePete Tue 17-Nov-15 14:44:15

Oh no no no no the VEGGIE eats shell fish

PositivePete Tue 17-Nov-15 14:45:11

Got it covered! These are all great ideas. Thank you as always

Gasp0deTheW0nderD0g Tue 17-Nov-15 15:11:43

Trying to reply to this post and failing - let's try again.

Gasp0deTheW0nderD0g Tue 17-Nov-15 15:14:02

Well, that's very odd. Let's try again.

What I wanted to say was that your veggie friend sounds as if she of the Humpty Dumpty persuasion when it comes to defining words.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

'When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, 'it means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less.'

'The question is,' said Alice, 'whether you can make words mean so many different things.'

'The question is,' said Humpty Dumpty, 'which is to be master — that’s all.'

Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking Glass

ElderlyKoreanLady Tue 17-Nov-15 15:21:21

How weird...is the vegi actually a pescatarian? If so, I'd do a lovely side of salmon with platters of side dishes such as douphinoise potatoes, dressed salads, minted peas, spinach with nutmeg, etc.

hugoagogo Tue 17-Nov-15 16:28:31

How can a vegetarian eat shellfish? confused

sleepwhenidie Tue 17-Nov-15 16:30:45

Individual monkfish or cod foil parcels with coconut milk/lemongrass/ginger (thai curry) with rice and steamed green beans.

www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/monkfishtailbakedina_86538

Gasp0deTheW0nderD0g Tue 17-Nov-15 16:32:07

Clearly a real vegetarian can't eat shellfish, but plenty of people seem to feel that eating a largely plant-based diet makes them a vegetarian, even if they eat fish, shellfish, chicken, the occasional bacon sandwich....

hugoagogo Tue 17-Nov-15 16:48:11

It does my head in. It's these people that cause confusion so that I get offered tuna sandwiches/pasta bake as a vegetarian option!

What hope have I that other veg options aren't cooked in lard or have gelatin in if people in the kitchen don't know that vegetarians don't eat fish?

ErnesttheBavarian Tue 17-Nov-15 18:09:23

That drives me nuts as well. As a friend one said, fish may be stupid but you can't confuse them with a vegetable.

ImperialBlether Tue 17-Nov-15 18:13:12

That's a fantastic quote, Gasp - comes in really handy at times!

Gasp0deTheW0nderD0g Tue 17-Nov-15 18:25:43

Yes, I absolutely love it, Imperial!

whois Tue 17-Nov-15 18:57:51

Seriously amazing quite!

People who call themselves veggie when they aren't piss me off. Make it confusing for everyone.

whois Tue 17-Nov-15 18:58:47

They can call themselves 'flexi-tarian' as in I eat meanly veggie but am flax able and will eat fish/prawns/chicken stock/macdonalds

PositivePete Wed 18-Nov-15 09:24:28

I'll give her a bloody mushroom.

Irritates me

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now