Talk

Advanced search

8x People not meat or shell fish

(24 Posts)
PositivePete Mon 16-Nov-15 19:52:59

FFS ....

So, a veggie and an allergic to shell fish coming for lunch.

8x people

Hit me with your thoughts?!?!

defineme Mon 16-Nov-15 19:55:35

I would either make veggie curry or do buffet of nice cheese, quiche, salad etc.

IDismyname Mon 16-Nov-15 19:59:07

YY to a veg curry and a meat curry with lots of other 'pick and mix' offerings on the side such as poppadoms, naans, pickles etc etc.

Or do salmon wrapped in a filo parcel with a bit of sauce, and a veggie one on the side? With veg to accompany...

Coletterbox Mon 16-Nov-15 20:19:48

This is a lovely veg curry - don't really miss the meat! www.eatdrinkcook.co.uk/recipe-creamy-coconut-butternut-squash-curry/

lastqueenofscotland Mon 16-Nov-15 20:20:12

I'd do lots of currys - a generic veg one, paneer one, Bombay potatoes, Dahl rice and naan.

anothernumberone Mon 16-Nov-15 20:21:52

I would make a Thai curry and cook some chicken to throw into it after I played up for the veggie

Coletterbox Mon 16-Nov-15 20:21:56

Oh - or this is a really lovely quiche and feeds a crowd - www.eatdrinkcook.co.uk/recipe-smoked-haddock-quiche/

paddlenorapaddle Mon 16-Nov-15 20:27:23

Ooh pearl barley and beetroot risotto with goats cheese

whois Tue 17-Nov-15 13:25:40

So if everyone is going to eat the same thing the shellfish allergy is irrelevant since the veggie can;t eat shellfish anyway ;-)

Loads of things are veggie.

Soups
Pasta & sauce
Rissoto
Curry
Tagines

Just think of something you like to eat that is veggie and make that.

PositivePete Tue 17-Nov-15 14:44:15

Oh no no no no the VEGGIE eats shell fish

PositivePete Tue 17-Nov-15 14:45:11

Got it covered! These are all great ideas. Thank you as always

Gasp0deTheW0nderD0g Tue 17-Nov-15 15:11:43

Trying to reply to this post and failing - let's try again.

Gasp0deTheW0nderD0g Tue 17-Nov-15 15:14:02

Well, that's very odd. Let's try again.

What I wanted to say was that your veggie friend sounds as if she of the Humpty Dumpty persuasion when it comes to defining words.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

'When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, 'it means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less.'

'The question is,' said Alice, 'whether you can make words mean so many different things.'

'The question is,' said Humpty Dumpty, 'which is to be master — that’s all.'

Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking Glass

ElderlyKoreanLady Tue 17-Nov-15 15:21:21

How weird...is the vegi actually a pescatarian? If so, I'd do a lovely side of salmon with platters of side dishes such as douphinoise potatoes, dressed salads, minted peas, spinach with nutmeg, etc.

hugoagogo Tue 17-Nov-15 16:28:31

How can a vegetarian eat shellfish? confused

sleepwhenidie Tue 17-Nov-15 16:30:45

Individual monkfish or cod foil parcels with coconut milk/lemongrass/ginger (thai curry) with rice and steamed green beans.

www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/monkfishtailbakedina_86538

Gasp0deTheW0nderD0g Tue 17-Nov-15 16:32:07

Clearly a real vegetarian can't eat shellfish, but plenty of people seem to feel that eating a largely plant-based diet makes them a vegetarian, even if they eat fish, shellfish, chicken, the occasional bacon sandwich....

hugoagogo Tue 17-Nov-15 16:48:11

It does my head in. It's these people that cause confusion so that I get offered tuna sandwiches/pasta bake as a vegetarian option!

What hope have I that other veg options aren't cooked in lard or have gelatin in if people in the kitchen don't know that vegetarians don't eat fish?

ErnesttheBavarian Tue 17-Nov-15 18:09:23

That drives me nuts as well. As a friend one said, fish may be stupid but you can't confuse them with a vegetable.

ImperialBlether Tue 17-Nov-15 18:13:12

That's a fantastic quote, Gasp - comes in really handy at times!

Gasp0deTheW0nderD0g Tue 17-Nov-15 18:25:43

Yes, I absolutely love it, Imperial!

whois Tue 17-Nov-15 18:57:51

Seriously amazing quite!

People who call themselves veggie when they aren't piss me off. Make it confusing for everyone.

whois Tue 17-Nov-15 18:58:47

They can call themselves 'flexi-tarian' as in I eat meanly veggie but am flax able and will eat fish/prawns/chicken stock/macdonalds

PositivePete Wed 18-Nov-15 09:24:28

I'll give her a bloody mushroom.

Irritates me

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: