Talk

Advanced search

Thanksgiving

(6 Posts)
DeathByChocolate1714 Thu 12-Nov-15 21:32:26

Some friends from America are visiting us, over Thanksgiving and I thought it would be nice serve a traditional Thanksgiving meal.
I have googled and from what I can see, it seems I have to include roast turkey, mashed potato, gravy, cranberry sauce and Pumpkin pie.
Are there any traditional veg I should cook? Or a traditional stuffing? Have I missed anything? Thanks in advance.

cdtaylornats Thu 12-Nov-15 21:56:29

You should serve curry - tell them its because the Indians provided the food smile

There is usually sweet potatoes topped with marshmallows
Some form of green vegetable

Blondie1984 Thu 12-Nov-15 22:15:59

i went to a Thanksgiving Dinner once and there were candied yams and green beans in a cheese type sauce.....

milaforni Fri 13-Nov-15 06:42:31

Traditional dressing is a must! It's always turkey and dressing.
Green beans are nice. I'm not a big on. candied yams, but there are some real fans in my family.
We always have rolls.
Really nice of you to do this for your friends!

lavendersun Fri 13-Nov-15 06:56:39

I think there are regional dishes, where are they from?

When we lived near DC there was a ham stuffed with kale like this writemeg.com/2011/11/23/southern-maryland-stuffed-ham-a-local-delicacy/

Believe it or not I remember a meringue topped sweet potato dish hmm, as if the sweet potatoes weren't sweet enough, a walnut heavy stuffing, cornbread dressing type stuff. Lots of green beans smile.

Pecan tart, apple pie, chocolate cheesecake.

I think it is fairly moveable to be honest. We are thinking of cooking a thanksgiving type meal this year. Haven't done it since 2008. I will just make it up as I go along though in my usual fashion!

DeathByChocolate1714 Fri 13-Nov-15 16:25:13

Thank you for the replies. They are from South Carolina. pecan pie is a good idea.
The marshmallow topped sweet potato sounds a bit ....sickly?! But it seems they are traditional - I might run that one by them!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now