Talk

Advanced search

Chutney

(9 Posts)
tkband3 Thu 12-Nov-15 09:21:21

I'm planning on doing hampers for a few people this Christmas, with home-made Christmas cake, fudge and chutney...I usually make Nigella's Christmas chutney which I love, but I've made it as presents before, so thought I might do something different this year.

So if you'd like to share your favourite chutney recipes with me, I'd be very grateful smile.

Coletterbox Thu 12-Nov-15 09:28:59

This may give you a few ideas. I've done the chilli jam quite a few times - people I've given it to always come and ask for more! smile

www.eatdrinkcook.co.uk/category/eat/gourmet-gifts/

tkband3 Fri 13-Nov-15 12:23:23

Fab, thanks. Chilli jam sounds delicious smile.

GlowWine Fri 13-Nov-15 12:33:35

I've also made Nigellas Rich Fruit chutney, and really liked it. It's in her Christmas book.

missmoffatt2705 Fri 13-Nov-15 19:58:51

Delia Smith's Old Dowerhouse Chutney is lovely as is this Apple Chutney www.goodtoknow.co.uk/recipes/529917/apple-chutney

sashh Sat 14-Nov-15 08:22:53

I made a yellow pepper and date chutney - no recipe, I made it up, I didn't have much else in.

slices of yellow pepper, some chopped dates, sugar and vinegar and bit of chilli powder

JamNan Sat 14-Nov-15 11:46:40

This chutney is nice for Christmas, although I'll admit beetroot is an acquired taste for some.
Spiced beetroot & orange chutney
Cooking time
Prep:20 mins, Cook:1 hr, Makes roughly 2kg

Ingredients
1½ kg raw beetroot, trimmed, peeled and diced (wear gloves!)
3 onions, chopped
3 eating apples, peeled and grated
zest and juice 3 oranges
2 tbsp white or yellow mustard seeds
1 tbsp coriander seed
1 tbsp ground cloves
1 tbsp ground cinnamon
700ml red wine vinegar
700g golden granulated sugar

Method
1.In a preserving pan or your largest saucepan, mix together all the ingredients well. Bring to a gentle simmer, then cook for 1 hr, stirring occasionally, until the chutney is thick and the beetroot tender.
2.While the chutney is cooking, prepare your jars by running through a short hot wash in your dishwasher. Or wash thoroughly by hand, then put in a hot oven to sterilise for 10-15 mins. Once the chutney is ready, let it settle for 10 mins, then carefully spoon into the jars and seal while still hot. You can eat it straight away but it will be even better after a month. Will keep for up to 6 months in a cool dark place. Once opened, refrigerate and eat within 2 months.

Ginmakesmecry Sat 14-Nov-15 18:31:27

Tk, I hope you don't mind me gatecrashing but I was just coming on to ask about chutney recipies and to ask if the ikea kilner type jars are any good and if they are not which ones do people reccomend thanks

tkband3 Thu 19-Nov-15 21:59:49

Sorry, have been offline for a few days. Thanks for the suggestions - will be looking into them in more detail over the next couple of days.

Gin not at all - I'm planning a trip to Ikea early next week to investigate jars, so I'll have a look and report back if I use them!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now