Talk

Advanced search

Freezing cakes

(11 Posts)
TheGruffaloFish Wed 11-Nov-15 13:57:28

I asked on chat, but no-one answered! Can I make mini carrot cakes in paper cases and then defrost them or is that a bad idea? I have to make a birthday cake for DS to take into class so I thought individual ones would be easier. Can't make it the day before as that is when his birthday party is (nor can I make it the day before and keep in fridge as I have very limited fridge space so will be using it for party food).

The recipe I have is this one here from bbc website.

LikeASoulWithoutAMind Wed 11-Nov-15 14:01:41

Yes it says on the recipe it's freezable smile

I've frozen plain fairy cakes before and it worked really well.

TheGruffaloFish Wed 11-Nov-15 14:05:25

in the paper cases? I'm a little worried the paper would go soggy. Or is it a special type of paper they use?

Etak15 Wed 11-Nov-15 14:06:47

Or you could make it 2 days before, there's nothing in it that needs to be kept in the fridge you can just keep in a cake tin. Cakes are fine kept for a week or so.

TheGruffaloFish Wed 11-Nov-15 14:31:42

I know, but two days before I will be making the cake for his birthday party and that will go in my cake tin! I really don't have storage space, just a freezer in the cellar. Ideally I would make it tomorrow to be eaten a week on Friday. I'm not often at home during the week but tomorrow I'm waiting in for a delivery.

TheGruffaloFish Wed 11-Nov-15 14:34:24

And I suppose my question is not really can I freeze it but what do I freeze and defrost it in?

Macaronipony Wed 11-Nov-15 14:34:47

Yesthey will be fine in the cases, I often do this with muffins.

Macaronipony Wed 11-Nov-15 14:36:00

Cross posted - freeze on Tupperware or a freezer bag then leave to defrost in whatever you have frozen then in!

LikeASoulWithoutAMind Wed 11-Nov-15 14:40:41

Yes I just froze them in the cases and they were fine. If you freeze them on a baking tray they won't stick together then you can transfer to a tupperware or bag. Or actually, freeze in the Tupperware but separate the layers with greaseproof paper. I'd pop them on a plate to defrost.

Actually what am I talking about? With a party the day before to cater for, I'd buy some ready made

LikeASoulWithoutAMind Wed 11-Nov-15 14:41:34

Only because I'm a lazy bugger, your cakes sound delicious OP

TheGruffaloFish Wed 11-Nov-15 16:38:15

I'd need a three hour round trip to do that though, so it's probably quicker to make the cakes!

Thank you. I will freeze in the cases in a Tupperware if I can find one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now