Talk

Advanced search

Is everyone else using some kind of Pasta Shape Rationale?

(87 Posts)
GnocchiGnocchiWhosThere Thu 05-Nov-15 16:09:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

bakingaddict Thu 05-Nov-15 16:14:19

If you like your pasta the way you do it carry on I really hate food snobbery. Generally penne pasta or rigatoni is supposed to be eaten with bolognaise or ragu type sauces as the ridges give the rich sauce something to cling on to.

enderwoman Thu 05-Nov-15 16:26:14

I get excited when I see a pasta shape that I've never seen before.

About 10 years ago I saw pasta in Waitrose shaped like wheels and I was much more excited than toddler Ds.

My children all have favourite shapes. Ds1 likes penne, dd likes lasagne and ds2 likes spaghetti/linguine. I always do tomato based sauces so it's hard to work out why they taste different but they just do.

loveulotslikejellytots Thu 05-Nov-15 16:34:15

Tesco pasta tells you what sauce they go best with. As mentioned some a better with meat sauces, some are better in soups etc. I just buy what ever is best value and it's not always the same. It all gets chucked in a jar so I could have 2 or 3 different types in there.

BitOutOfPractice Thu 05-Nov-15 16:37:12

If you're doing it wrong, then so am I!

I never buy spaghetti - because I don't like it so it's just pasta bolognaise in this house

gaggiagirl Thu 05-Nov-15 16:37:56

I buy an industrial sized bag of fusili from Asda because my family are pasta monsters. If I was cooking something special or not on the usual meal rotation, then I would absolutely buy the correct pasta.

MediumBox Thu 05-Nov-15 16:39:08

as long as you don't have italians for dinner and serve farfalle with a tomato sauce it's fine imo

MediumBox Thu 05-Nov-15 16:39:56

I also like using different shape/colour pasta which has my dsis gasp and clutching pearls.

LifeIsChaos Thu 05-Nov-15 16:41:34

I use penne for tomato/veg sauces, spaghetti or rigatoni for bolongnaise. Spaghetti for light sea food, linguine for carbonara. Lasagne for lasagne obviously.

I don't like those pasta shells.

stealthsquiggle Thu 05-Nov-15 16:43:13

I have a pasta shape rationale. I use whichever one falls out of the cupboard first blush

I do really really want the pasta extruded attachment for my kitchenaid, though....

stealthsquiggle Thu 05-Nov-15 16:44:45

Extruder. Not extruded.

INeedACheeseSlicer Thu 05-Nov-15 16:48:53

Meh, I always let the children choose the shape.

Yes, some shapes pick up sauce better than others. But they like a job to do in the supermarket, and they get much more excited about different shapes than I do anyway.

Notoedike Thu 05-Nov-15 16:54:37

I have very definite preferences, but if I'm stuck anything will do.

IAmAPaleontologist Thu 05-Nov-15 16:57:02

We usually buy fusilli because they come in massive 3kg bags from tesco but I love different shapes, it excites me no end. I get a frisson of excitement why I decide to splurge unecessary money and buy smaller bags of different shapes.

blibblibs Thu 05-Nov-15 17:06:08

Any will do in this house too. I usually chuck in a handful of a different shape that the DC have to find once on their plate, seems to get them eating faster. We had moose shaped pasta from Ikea last time we were there smile

EssentialHummus Thu 05-Nov-15 17:17:10

Have just googled moose pasta, thanks for that smile

BlackAmericanoNoSugar Thu 05-Nov-15 17:26:56

DS will only eat penne, I am unreasonable to expect him to eat fusilli apparently. I quite like shells though, big ones stuffed with a solid-ish chicken based filling or little ones in soup.

I try not to pronounce them though, as I'm pretty sure I would get it horribly wrong.

SteveBrucesNose Thu 05-Nov-15 17:29:29

Some is thicker than other, that's why it tastes different (different volume of pasta to sauce)

I generally don't give a toss though. I eat whatever is in the cupboard, or spaghetti as that's my kithenaid attachment of choice

Pasithea Thu 05-Nov-15 17:32:46

Ex mil Italian God help you if you get it wrong. Or wrong olive oil or wrong tomatoes. Or olives or wine.

Eminybob Thu 05-Nov-15 17:47:35

I bought the shells last time in the hope that some veg sauce would get trapped inside and foil my veg-avoiding 16 month old. Kind of worked. He bloody loves pasta, all kinds.

SocksRock Thu 05-Nov-15 18:01:17

I buy it in 3kg bags from the supermarket so everything is served with the shape that is currently in the cupboard. Philistine that I am. Always gets eaten though.

troubleatmillcock Thu 05-Nov-15 18:13:48

Come on, people.

OF COURSE it makes a difference what shape your pasta is!

You wouldn't serve Mac'N'Cheese with linguine would you? Because then it wouldn't be Mac'N'Cheese.

Lasagna with penne?

Pasta snob and proud.

BikeRunSki Thu 05-Nov-15 18:23:32

Macaroni - cheese
Spaghetti - bolognnaise
Lasagna - lasagna

Otherwise whatever I like the look of.

LibrariesGaveUsP0wer Thu 05-Nov-15 18:25:21

Unless it's in the name of what I'm making (lasagne, macaroni cheese), I don't care.

MooseyMoo Thu 05-Nov-15 18:29:15

Love pasta. I used to buy correct shaped pasta according to recipe then DC arrived and we now buy the biggest pack possible ( normally fusilli or penne) Also buy spaghetti and tagliatelle for carbonara.

I'm stupidly excited about Christmas shaped pasta. Couldn't find any last year but noticed that Lakeland have it online ...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now