Talk

Advanced search

Quiche Disaster

(17 Posts)
TheEagle Tue 03-Nov-15 18:11:29

So today I thought I'd make a nice leek and chicken quiche.

Got Delia out for a recipe. Followed everything she said (except used milk instead of cream).

Baked quiche base for 20 minutes. Put in chicken & leeks & cheese.

Poured over egg & milk mix ..... Which then promptly began to leak out of the fecking tin! Everywhere!

I salvaged it a bit but it was a disaster - when baked there was practically no eggy filling and DH and DS1 were highly unimpressed grin

Any thoughts on where I went wrong? TIA

GinandJag Tue 03-Nov-15 18:13:19

Was it a loose base tin?

TheEagle Tue 03-Nov-15 18:18:47

It was - but that was what the recipe called for. It has two bottom layers that fit snugly into the outer layer (does that make sense)

Wtfmummy Tue 03-Nov-15 18:20:35

Did you blind bake pastry before adding filling?

BeachysFlipFlops Tue 03-Nov-15 18:21:53

I put my cheese in with my eggs and cream so the mixture is a bit more gloopy and then I run to the cooker.....

TheEagle Tue 03-Nov-15 18:22:19

Yes, I blind baked the pastry for 20 minutes.

I didn't use baking beans though as I didn't have any.

TheEagle Tue 03-Nov-15 18:23:20

Maybe I should have beaten the eggs and milk mixture a bit more? It was quite runny.

bookbook Tue 03-Nov-15 18:52:26

Ahh - holes or small cracks in pastry case somewhere I guess. If you don't blind bake with beans, ( or rice or lentils) the pastry can puff up, and crack when you put the filling in. Otherwise, did you press the pastry quite well right into the bottom edge and check there were no gaps ?

Wtfmummy Tue 03-Nov-15 18:53:12

I blind bake for 15 mins with baking paper and rice or dried beans. Egg wash base and bake again for 5 mins.

I add cheese to egg and milk/cream mix.

Another tip would be not to trim the pastry until the end to avoid shrinkage and leakage wink

I swear by an Ainsley Harriet recipe if you would like it?

GinandJag Tue 03-Nov-15 19:25:02

I make quiche in a ceramic dish. I use raw pastry. I lightly beat the egg. It always comes out fine.

TheEagle Tue 03-Nov-15 19:31:50

Thanks for the replies - I'd say it was some holes/gaps in the pastry that did it confused

I was rushing because the babies woke early from their nap and were demanding more attention than the pastry.

Might try a ceramic dish next time, interesting idea.

TheEagle Tue 03-Nov-15 19:37:26

The recipe would be nice thank you wtfmummy

SeaRabbit Tue 03-Nov-15 19:43:53

It must have been a crack in the pastry. Very annoying I know (been there).

An old Delia tip is to beat up one of the eggs in its own, and brush the egg round the baked blind (cooked base), going well into the corner. Pop back in the oven for another minute. That seals it well. Then use the rest of the egg in the filling as normal.

TheEagle Tue 03-Nov-15 19:46:45

I did the egg brushing bit and everything!

I feel so cheated smile

Wtfmummy Wed 04-Nov-15 09:55:00

I've taken some pics of the recipe - attached - hope that works! X

TheEagle Wed 04-Nov-15 10:17:49

Thank you that looks fab.

He asks for a hotter oven too so that might help with sealing the pastry case a bit more.

Probably be weeks before I have time to go at this again but I will not be defeated grin

Wtfmummy Wed 04-Nov-15 12:31:04

Don't let the quiche beat you - you will be victorious grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now