Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Please give me your best winter recipes!

(16 Posts)
Destinysdaughter Mon 02-Nov-15 19:47:23

The nights are drawing in and I'd love to expand my repertoire of meals for the winter months. Looking for warming, comforting, tasty recipes, anyone got anything they'd like to share..?

Coletterbox Mon 02-Nov-15 20:17:24

I've got a few..

Here are some winter recipes and some autumn recipes which may give you some ideas smile

www.eatdrinkcook.co.uk/category/cook/seasons/winter/

www.eatdrinkcook.co.uk/category/cook/seasons/autumn/

cupidsabsolutepsyche Mon 02-Nov-15 22:48:56

I've just made a lentil shepherds pie for tomorrow (well, the base) and I'm truly amazed at how good it is!

1 large onion
3 celery stalks
3 large carrots
2 cloves garlic
1 courgette (recipe said mushrooms but I didn't have any)
250g green lentils
800ml veg stock
Shake of thyme/mixed herbs
Tomato purée
Splash Worcester sauce

I chopped the onion and celery in mini chopper and diced carrots and courgette.

Sweat onion, celery, carrot in butter/oil for 10 mins or so til soft.
Add courgette/mushrooms and cook another few mins
Add herbs (no salt yet), stir
Add lentils and stock, bring to boil and simmer 40ish mins with lid on, until most of liquid is absorbed.
When cooked add few squirts tomato purée and splash Worcester sauce, then s&p to taste.

I'm cooking ahead for tomorrow so will top with cheesy mash and bake 30mins at gas 5 or so. Must not keep eating the lentils tonight, it's lush!

Made apple cake too, just off to polish cooking halo smile

bookbook Mon 02-Nov-15 22:57:39

This is a big favourite here
www.deliciousmagazine.co.uk/recipes/sausages-with-borlotti-beans/
I found you don't need all the extra olive oil at the end, and I use a few more borlotti beans , and a bit more mustard, but thats just preference smile

Drladybird Tue 03-Nov-15 09:15:50

Continuing with the lentil theme...lentil lasagne

canyou Tue 03-Nov-15 09:24:34

I use my slow cooker, look up Stephanie O Dea who has 365 recipes for a slow cooker. I do chowder when I am around and for a quick dinner frozen aldi mash and sausage with gravy and garden peas grin Cicken and sweetcorn soup chowder is loved here and I make left overs into a pie. Stew and left overs into pasties I need a bigger freezer

cupidsabsolutepsyche Tue 03-Nov-15 10:43:26

Drladybird that looks wonderful!

Drladybird Tue 03-Nov-15 12:00:04

Thanks cupidsabsolutepsyche You'll probably like it if you're into lentils!

bookbook Tue 03-Nov-15 18:23:31

Cupid - just made and eaten the lentil shepherds pie - it was delicious, with enough for at least another 2 meals ( 2 greedy adults here )
Thank you smile

TyneTeas Tue 03-Nov-15 19:04:44

I'm looking forward to lots of warming food in cold weather - some of my favourites are:

Beef in Beer

tyne-teas.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/beef-in-beer.html

Chilli Beef Stew

tyne-teas.blogspot.co.uk/2014/04/chilli-beef-stew_24.html

Stuffed Peppers

tyne-teas.blogspot.co.uk/2014/09/stuffed-peppers.html

Loaded Skins

tyne-teas.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/loaded-skins.html

Chicken and Bacon Casserole

tyne-teas.blogspot.co.uk/2013/12/chicken-and-bacon-casserole.html

DownstairsMixUp Tue 03-Nov-15 19:09:00

Stew stew stew all the day long!

I buy some diced beef and brown it up with some onions. Onions and beef straight into a big dish with some carrots, celery, swede, potatoes all cut up. Two stock cubes and boiling water to cover all the stuff, splash of lea and perrins, some tomato puree and a bit of red wine (just a cheap bottle will do, i use the tesco value red wine in the cartons and it's fine) put the oven on about 140 and let it cook for hours. I add some gravy granules and depending on what I feel like either add dumplings or make some bread to go with it. :-)

Also a cheap one as we are short on cash at the mo, we just literally buy heinz soup, some frozen rolls from iceland so we can have them all warm from the oven to dip and jam roly poly for afters. Again, not hugely healthy but once in a while and as a treat it's so simple and nice!

GhostsComeWith Tue 03-Nov-15 19:50:38

I LOVE winter food!
We are just about to tuck into Nigel Slater's 'A Sausage and Mash Supper' - basically sausages cooked in a red wine and onion gravy with mash, it is plate lickingly good. We will have it with steamed broccoli

Tomorrow night we will have Jamie Oliver's 'Jools's Favourite Stew' which is our favourite stew. We will have it with baked potatoes and cauliflower cheese. And the bonus is we will have enough for tomorrow too.

We also love roast chicken dinner, fish pie, cottage pie, chicken and mushroom pot pies, chilli with all the bits and bobs, lasagne, meatballs cooked in a cherry tomato and white wine sauce......lots and lots of dishes really

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 03-Nov-15 19:54:33

I've just spotted some "short ends of beef rib" in our local butchers. Think I will be braising those later this week smile

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 03-Nov-15 19:57:37

How about oven baked carbonara risotto?

Dancingqueen17 Tue 03-Nov-15 20:03:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Notoedike Tue 03-Nov-15 21:11:09

Smoked Butternut Chilli

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now