Batch cooking and do I need a slow cooker

(2 Posts)
Helgathehairy Mon 02-Nov-15 14:53:21

I really need to get a grip on our food budget in the New Year. We're not too bad with waste (Thursday night dinner is usually either a stir fry or roast of anything left in the fridge before shop on Friday) but we always end up with chicken and mince and salmon in the freezer.

I'd like to do some batch cooking so I can freeze cooked dinners rather than everything raw. How do you know what you can freeze? I know stuff like bolognaise sauce and cottage pie but is there much else? I'm never sure about veggies for example.

Other thing I see mentioned a lot is a slow cooker. I'm a SAHM so not sure of the benefits. My oven has a slow cooker setting and I have a "Le Cruset" type casserole.

Any tips in general?

PolterGoose Mon 02-Nov-15 16:35:31

I batch cook mostly using a Le Creuset casserole and my oven for any slow cooking. Sometimes I use a pressure cooker.

My staples are:
Bolognese
Chili
Sausage casserole
Dahl
Cottage pie mince
Beef stew
Veg curry
Veg and bean stew
Soup

If I've got a potato glut I make mash to freeze with potatoes cooked in the pressure cooker, it makes the best mash smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now