Talk

Advanced search

Is my Halloween pumpkin edible? If so, what can I make with it?

(7 Posts)
SirChenjin Sun 01-Nov-15 10:42:53

Seems a shame to throw out what seems like eleventy billion kilos of pumpkin, but I don't know if it's OK to cook with?

Tartyflette Sun 01-Nov-15 10:52:42

I'm afraid that IME commercially grown halloween pumpkins in the UK are pretty much taste-free.

You can make soup if you add various seasonings, onion, garlic, stock, curry spices to make it less bland but it may still be a bit meh. American pumpkins or home grown ones will be stronger and sweeter (we grow various pumpkins and squashes and the taste can vary enormously.

Pumpkin pie, where you sweeten the filling and add cinnamon and nutmeg etc is snother possibility but you may have to add shed loads of sugar.

But there's no reason why you shouldn't try, if you have the time and inclination.
We feed the crap ones to the chickens.....

00100001 Sun 01-Nov-15 10:53:03

yes!

make Pumpkin soup!

or Pumpkin pie smile

Did you keep the seeds? Roast them in the oven for snacking smile
Clean off the pulp/string bits. Toss pumpkin seeds in a bowl with the melted butter or oil (and if you like, seasonings of your choice). Spread pumpkin seeds in a single layer on baking sheet. Bake for about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally, until golden brown.

NoelHeadbands Sun 01-Nov-15 10:54:44

Too bland for soup IMO, but I've used the pulp for pumpkin pie before now as you add tonnes of spices and sugar. We do roast the seeds as well

00100001 Sun 01-Nov-15 10:56:34

we spice it up for soup smile

Tartyflette Sun 01-Nov-15 11:00:38

Yes, the best pumpkin soup i ever made had a couple of Scotch Bonnets in it. As well as olive oil, pancetta, cumin, yoghurt....( The list goes on. )

SirChenjin Sun 01-Nov-15 11:57:02

I would add spice anyway - don't do bland soups! Just wanted to check that the Halloween ones weren't poisonousror something before feeding it to my cherubs <responsible mother emoticon>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now