Talk

Advanced search

Anyone ever done hot dogs in a slow cooker?

(9 Posts)
SlinkyB Fri 30-Oct-15 12:35:23

Hi

I'm having a Halloween party tomorrow lunchtime, and am expecting 9 kids and up to 8 adults. I'm serving hot dogs cut to look like severed fingers, in rolls with ketchup to look like blood, and wondered if I could get away with putting the hot dogs (have bought a mixture of brockwurst and those Hertz ones from the chiller cabinet) in the slow cooker on high for an hour or two, so that the adults can just help themselves when they want to?

I know they only take a few mins in simmering water, but just thought it would save me standing over the stove (will be doing games) plus they will be kept warm for an hour or so.

spondulix Fri 30-Oct-15 12:38:03

That sounds immensely practical! You'll be very busy so anything that saves you time and a hob is ideal.

bloodyteenagers Fri 30-Oct-15 12:55:28

Depends which method you are using - with or without water

bloodyteenagers Fri 30-Oct-15 12:58:30

Posted too soon
With water they will probably overlook and and taste gone
Without water you have to keep checking them to stop them burning so more hassle than chucking them in some hot water or in the microwave.

Is this the only food you are doing? Not everyone likes hotdogs.

SlinkyB Fri 30-Oct-15 13:33:56

No, doing pizza fingers and crudités/dips/crisps. Everyone knows it's a kiddies party with a few nibbles, so don't think they're expecting much!

Have read elsewhere online now that you can do them without water and they brown quite nicely. Will maybe put them in on their own and just turn them now and then?

bloodyteenagers Fri 30-Oct-15 13:49:43

When my mate did them, high heat, no water and had to go back every 20 minutes to rearrange them to stop them burning.

Prior to that a bit of water and they were disgusting. No one ate them.

Now all bunged in a pan of hot water and if not eaten then they are eaten cold. Less hassle of having to constantly go back to check them.

SlinkyB Sat 31-Oct-15 08:37:49

Thanks for the info! Will just bung them in hot water on the job then!

SlinkyB Sat 31-Oct-15 08:38:09

*hob!

Lucked Sat 31-Oct-15 08:40:19

Could you not cook them earlier then keep them in the slow cooker, in water, to keep them warm.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now