Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Corned beef hash

(13 Posts)
LeftMyRidingCropInTheMortuary Thu 29-Oct-15 20:24:45

Hello

Please does anyone have a good recipe? I'd ideally like to batch cook it (I live alone). Ways to make healthy/cheap would be good too. I have a slow cooker if that's any use.

Many thanks!

Wolfiefan Thu 29-Oct-15 20:28:13

My husband loves this but I hate the processed nature of corned beef. I'm lurking to see if anyone has any alternatives.

Gatekeeper Thu 29-Oct-15 20:28:44

I slice some onions, dice carrots and cut spuds into quarters (or eighths if big uns). Open tin of corned beef and roughly chop it up and add everything to a pan . I then bung in an oxo cube, enough boiling water to cover and then a handful of barley. Bring to boil and then simmer for 35-40 mins

We call it panackatly here in SW Durham and in our house we have it with git big wedges of Greggs stottie and lashing of Lurpak wink

LeftMyRidingCropInTheMortuary Thu 29-Oct-15 20:30:20

We are in Scotland and my mum used to call it "food like they had during the war".

LeftMyRidingCropInTheMortuary Thu 29-Oct-15 20:31:28

Aha, so you can do it on the hob instead of browned in the oven?

Gatekeeper Thu 29-Oct-15 20:40:01

aye you can; when our log burner is on I do ours on top of there

Gatekeeper Thu 29-Oct-15 20:41:29

also very nice served up in a lovely, big yorkshire pudding

Gatekeeper Thu 29-Oct-15 20:42:37

I do a load and then freeze in those plastic cartons you can get in Poundland (eight for a quid)

leccybill Thu 29-Oct-15 20:50:44

Beet root or red cabbage is a nice accompaniment.
I like it with melted cheap orange cheese on.

DragonsCanHop Thu 29-Oct-15 20:57:10

I use tinned potatoes (value ones) sliced. And then some cabbage and leek. I fry these together and near the end add cubed corned beef.

Served with a fried egg on top.

It's my fav cheap dinner when on my own, none of my lovely snobby family will eat it hmm

Indecisivejo Sun 01-Nov-15 19:45:20

Open tin corned beef and slice all up, lay this at bottom of oven dish, pour over a big tin baked beans then top with mashed potatoes and bake in oven until brown smile you can also add some fried onions with the baked beans.

LeftMyRidingCropInTheMortuary Sun 01-Nov-15 19:55:29

Mmmmm....thank you all!

adriennewillfly Wed 04-Nov-15 01:01:19

I fry a finely chopped medium onion til soft, then add 2 crushed garlic cloves, a medium diced tomato, 2 green chillis, then add the tinned corned beef (chopped into chunks). Delicious served with sauteed potatoes. Sometimes I mix with mash, then fry til crispy. Else, making potato cakes with it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now