Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mini cocktail sausages alternative snacks for children??

(19 Posts)
PisforPeter Tue 27-Oct-15 10:58:16

DD loves them but in light of recent advice would not like her to have to have them regularly in her pre-school packed lunch. She generally has sandwiches, a piece of cheese, cucumber batons & a piece of fruit.

Francescal88 Tue 27-Oct-15 11:15:43

How about mini chicken satays? You could make your own super cheap, just small pieces of chicken breast in a marinade. They'd freeze well too.

Highlove Tue 27-Oct-15 12:59:29

Hard boiled eggs? Some mini crust less quiches which are more I teresting than hard boiled egg and you can squeeze veg in, but still add a nice filling protein hit.

PisforPeter Tue 27-Oct-15 13:05:57

Yes, I'm going to try egg sandwiches as want to reduce ham but quiche is a good idea, will look into that, thank you. Will also try the chicken satay suggestion.

Madelinehatter Tue 27-Oct-15 13:13:38

Buy the Quorn version.

Or second mini quiches made in a muffin tin. Delish.

SuburbanRhonda Tue 27-Oct-15 13:18:10

The Quorn version will still have too much salt for a child.

SuburbanRhonda Tue 27-Oct-15 13:21:27

You could try making these.

marmaladegranny Tue 27-Oct-15 13:23:34

How do you make mini crustless quiche? Doesn't the filling run everywhere?

minimalist000001 Tue 27-Oct-15 13:25:06

Pineapple With Cheese
Popcorn
Veg sticks
Dried apricots
Seeds
Nuts

Highlove Tue 27-Oct-15 13:37:16

You do it in a mini muffin tin, so just stick the mix straight in. I use one of those rubbery 'tins' you get from Lakeland.

SuburbanRhonda Tue 27-Oct-15 13:47:15

Dried apricots, unless you get the unsulphured ones, are full of sulphites (obvs). Both types are very high in sugar.

It's a minefield sad

PisforPeter Tue 27-Oct-15 14:05:15

I agree suburban
And I don't give popcorn, nuts, raw carrot sticks as they are a choking hazard for a 3 yo thlsad

EElisavetaOfBelsornia Tue 27-Oct-15 14:08:40

Falafel?

I hesitate to add this after causing mayhem on a previous packed lunch thread, but I find little baked patties are a winner with young DCs - mashed broccoli, an egg, breadcrumbs and grated cheese, then baked. You can use spinach instead of the broccoli. Or mashed potato/ sweet potato, spinach and cheese.

Dancingqueen17 Tue 27-Oct-15 14:40:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PisforPeter Tue 27-Oct-15 14:51:58

I think these baked patties/quinoa balls are a great idea once I get over my lurgy! Thank you.

whois Tue 27-Oct-15 15:54:21

I hesitate to add this after causing mayhem on a previous packed lunch thread, but I find little baked patties are a winner with young DCs - mashed broccoli, an egg, breadcrumbs and grated cheese, then baked. You can use spinach instead of the broccoli. Or mashed potato/ sweet potato, spinach and cheese.

Sounds really good for packed lunches

EElisavetaOfBelsornia Tue 27-Oct-15 16:40:00

It wasn't the falafel that caused outrage, it was the patty things - I referred to an item in DD's lunchbox as a spinach cake. Clearly on reflection patty is a better term. DCs call them 'bites' - spinach bite or broccoli bite, but that makes them sound mini and they're done in tartlet cases so quite substantial. I have learned not to misuse the term cake though - only to be used for cake.

PisforPeter Tue 27-Oct-15 17:13:46

Do the bites hold together well after baking, what do you put them in to bake??

PisforPeter Tue 27-Oct-15 17:15:31

Have just seen tartlet cases mentioned, do you use silicone so they are easy to get out?? And how long to bake for at what temp??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now