Talk

Advanced search

Vegetable/sides ideas please

(17 Posts)
Lunaballoon Mon 19-Oct-15 15:25:13

I'm lacking in inspiration for vegetable dishes. We're not vegetarian but I'd like to introduce more variety and not rely on frozen peas/sweetcorn combos to accompany the main dish. Ratatouille is a favourite made with roast aubergine, courgettes etc. We also like JO's sweet potato mash. Any other ideas?

OddSocksHighHeels Mon 19-Oct-15 18:46:36

Cauliflower/broccoli cheese
Fried leeks
Fried spinach with feta
Asparagus in lemon juice and Parmesan

OddSocksHighHeels Mon 19-Oct-15 18:47:04

Oh and roasted root veg with garlic and lots of herbs

iklboo Mon 19-Oct-15 18:57:05

Peppers, onions, courgette, baby corn, onions, mushrooms, butternut squash all chopped up & roasted together with garlic & herbs - or covered with a carton of passata.

Baby new potatoes - either roasted with garlic & herbs or boiled, drained & swirled in a tablespoon of wholegrain mustard.

Penfold007 Mon 19-Oct-15 19:19:53

At this time of the year make full use of any pumpkin or squash. Wash well and dry, don't bother peeling but slice into wedges, remove any seeds etc. Place on a baking sheet drizzle with a little oil, salt, pepper and if you have any fresh or dried herbs add them. Roast at 180 for around 30 mins, enjoy skin and all.

OddSocksHighHeels Mon 19-Oct-15 19:29:11

penfold do you mean things like butternut squash? I didn't realise the skin was edible. They're a nightmare to chop though!

Lunaballoon Mon 19-Oct-15 19:49:22

Loving all the roast veg ideas. Broccoli and cauliflower are also good roasted apparently.

goodbyeyellowbrickroad Mon 19-Oct-15 19:56:35

Green beans are lovely roasted with a bit of olive oil, Worcestershire Sauce, salt and pepper. Mushrooms are good done the same way.

Dancingqueen17 Mon 19-Oct-15 20:07:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Penfold007 Mon 19-Oct-15 21:06:35

Odd yes I did, you are right chopping is difficult but I find peeling just as tricky. The skin seems to soften and melt as it roasts.

OddSocksHighHeels Mon 19-Oct-15 21:10:47

I get angry every time I buy one. I tend to buy ready chipped now as a result. I shall try it with skin at some point though, good to know.

OddSocksHighHeels Mon 19-Oct-15 21:11:05

Sorry chopped not chipped.

Phoenix0x0 Tue 20-Oct-15 09:55:27

Savoy cabbage sautéed with either bacon/chorizo and paprika
Roasted cherry/plum tomatoes with green beans, garlic and chilli
Leeks in a cheese sauce

JillBYeats Tue 20-Oct-15 10:06:32

Roast chopped up butternut squash and stir in some friend chorizo
Cauliflower tossed in oil, salt and grated lemon rind and roasted
Shredded kale roasted in a bit of oil or asparagus roasted....

Basically anything roasted.
Green beans are lovely steamed as are sugar snaps

Roast sweet potatoes if you can't face butternut squash chopping

Ready cooked beetroot diced with feta cheese is tasty too.

Lunaballoon Tue 20-Oct-15 13:18:49

Some great ideas here. Thanks!

mjwb99 Wed 21-Oct-15 11:08:19

quick and easy are cutting courgettes into thin slices and then frying in a little oil, pepper and salt, add some chilli flakes if you like a little spice too. Just keep an eye on them as they will burn if you don't move them around.

You can also steam them which is easy

Icklepickle101 Sun 01-Nov-15 15:35:06

Roasted sprouts with bacon and bubble and squeak are my winter faves

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now