Talk

Advanced search

Help me feed DS who eats nothing from a cow....

(24 Posts)
LynetteScavo Sun 18-Oct-15 10:31:22

Or any meat.

Fish, and eggs are fine.

Is there even a name for this diet he seems to have invented for himself? I don't know where to start Googling. confused

cdtaylornats Sun 18-Oct-15 10:39:57

Pescetarian sounds the closest - does he eat milk/cheese?

Gileswithachainsaw Sun 18-Oct-15 10:47:47

Sweet potato and chick pea curry
lentil Dahl
pasta and a tomato and vegetable sauce
omelette
stir fry with quorn chunks
a nut roast (hated by vege fir lack of imagination but I love it)
stuffed peppers with vege mince and rice mix and a home made tomato and veg sauce.

Gileswithachainsaw Sun 18-Oct-15 10:49:04

cod and smoked haddock or tuna and salmon fish cakes are yummy too

VulcanWoman Sun 18-Oct-15 10:50:01

Oatly oat milk is a nice alternative.

KitKat1985 Sun 18-Oct-15 18:19:37

I'd say all mainstream veggie / pescetarian recipes but just use soy milk / vegan cheese if the recipe calls for it.

JoeMommuh Sun 18-Oct-15 18:21:20

I'd say he was a pescstatrian who was non-dairy.

JoeMommuh Sun 18-Oct-15 18:21:52

*pescatarian

MERLYPUSSEDOFF Sun 18-Oct-15 21:28:21

Fish pie with soya milk to make the bechamel sauce ?

Breadandwine Sun 18-Oct-15 23:29:22

Hi Lynette

I have a blog with loads of vegan recipes on it - pizzas without cheese, lentil and potato hash, chilli non carne, pancakes without milk, chocolate cake with only 5 ingredients, simple jam tarts, chocolate rolls, Chelsea buns, etc.

I'm sure there are some suitable recipes on there for him. Is he old enough to search the blog? Make his own pizzas?

LynetteScavo Mon 19-Oct-15 19:53:43

Thanks for the link, Breadandwine smile

Non-dairy pescatarian is spot on for Googling purposes!

He doesn't object to goats cheese (his issue with milk seems to be cattle farmings effect on the environment!), so I can still bung his favourite Aldi pizza with goats cheese in the oven.

He's not being terribly strict, so will eat bread I've baked if milk has been added (or maybe he just doesn't know!)

Oddly he says he would eat road kill, as the animal hasn't suffered. hmm We haven't tested this claim yet. grin

MummaGiles Mon 19-Oct-15 20:02:30

How old is he?

Penfold007 Mon 19-Oct-15 20:48:46

Is DS old enough to cater for himself?

LynetteScavo Mon 19-Oct-15 21:36:43

He's 16. He's not fond of cooking, so if I left him to cater for himself he'd probably live off peanut butter and lettuce sandwiches.

I'd rather find dishes I can serve to the whole family, rather than faff around cooking two things.

MummaGiles Mon 19-Oct-15 22:40:11

If he is old enough to form views about the food he does or doesn't want to eat for moral reasons then he is old enough to cook for himself at least a few nights a week. Get him involved in meal planning - the Internet will be your friend here.

LynetteScavo Tue 20-Oct-15 18:39:15

Yep, the internet will be our friend...now I know what to Google!

MilkyChops Thu 22-Oct-15 19:55:03

At 16 I'd say sort yourself out a few nights a week. Then make something you all can enjoy for the rest.

My mother would never had fannied about like that at that age.

Beebar Thu 22-Oct-15 20:01:47

What Milkychops said

LynetteScavo Thu 22-Oct-15 21:50:42

If I start that I will have DS2 cooking his own things and DD cooking her own things. And then DH will start with his frozen meat pies!

I'm very much of the we are all going to eat one meal school at the same time school, I'm afraid. They help with the cooking when there isn't something interesting on TV and say what meals they'd like or not like to have again, but I'm not having anyone cooking for themselves unless they are cooking for us all. grin

I'm not going to fanny around. I've realised we actually hardly ever eat meat (the cost!) so it's just tweeking the diary.

MilkyChops Thu 22-Oct-15 22:15:58

Make him cook for you all then and put your feet grin

mysteryfairy Fri 23-Oct-15 10:15:19

Just cook vegan a lot. DS is vegan, the rest of us are veggie and I cook predominantly vegan when he is home from uni. There are loads of resources for this.

I often ignore him when making or buying puddings for us all though as no one actually needs pudding. If making something that can easily be non dairy I don't add dairy for the sake of it, but I do make ordinary cakes. I buy plenty of fruit and some non dairy yoghurt type things and he just has to make do with that.

fieldfare Fri 23-Oct-15 10:33:45

Now you've got the right description searching should be easy enough.
Dd, 13, has just decided to be pescatarian too. We don't eat meat all that frequently so it's not proving too difficult. It's making me cook a lot more inventively.
Take a look at some of Yotam Ottolengi's recipes, he makes amazing vegetarian food.

Onykahonie Fri 23-Oct-15 23:13:50

I'd look for student veggie cookbooks/blogs...he can then omit dairy/add fish etc to tweak recipes.

My pizza recipe uses goats cheese, but could also be made vegan.

Onykahonie Fri 23-Oct-15 23:15:30

btw...I had to cook my own veggie meals at that age, as my mum wouldn't!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now