Talk

Advanced search

cheap and nasty whisky

(10 Posts)
maslinpan Wed 14-Oct-15 18:07:20

We have acquired a bottle of really horrible whisky - so cheap it comes in a plastic bottle, and is a Value range number. How can I use the stuff up? We are not cocktail fans, and I have been racking my brains for any culinary use for it before it goes to clear out the drains...
It was part of a package of stuff from friends who were moving back to the US and clearing their cupboards - this was the worst offering by a long way and they did look ashamed as they handed it over!

GrouchyKiwi Wed 14-Oct-15 18:18:46

Whisky sauce is nice. Goes well with haggis (obvs) and strong flavoured meats. If you're a meat eater...

You could add it to coffee?

TheSpottedZebra Wed 14-Oct-15 18:24:58

Make blackberry whisky? Pick a load of blackberries, and add them and sugar to the whisky. Then leave for a few months.

Chuck it over Xmas pud and set light to it?
Use it to soak your fruits for your Xmas cake, if you're that way inclined?

soundsystem Wed 14-Oct-15 18:31:55

Hot toddies. But wth cheap whiskey they need lemonade. Cheap lemonade to complement the whisky. So: lemonade in a mug, in the microwave. Add whisky, honey, lemon juice. It's actually nice!

BikeRunSki Wed 14-Oct-15 18:33:58

Soak dried fruit in it for Christmas cake?
Add it to hot chocolate from a flask on a winter walk?

SecretBondGirl Wed 14-Oct-15 18:34:45

Hot toddies for when u have a cold you won't be able to smell the aroma anyway

Mouthfulofquiz Wed 14-Oct-15 18:45:58

Cheap whisky and ginger ale is always nice!

4merlyknownasSHD Thu 15-Oct-15 12:06:22

Cranachan is great, Here.

LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett Thu 15-Oct-15 12:11:08

Home-made Baileys is yum - I made it when we won a litre of cheap whiskey in the primary school raffle (true story).

something like this but I used actual coffee rather than going out and buying Camps.

ConstanceMarkYaBitch Fri 16-Oct-15 20:13:09

If you add it to most food or desserts in particular, you'll just make nice food taste of bad whisky. Same for a baileys type thing, it won't taste good. It'll only work in v strong flavours that will hide the taste, which sort of misses the point of using it as a flavouring.

I would do as a pp said and add lots of fruit and sugar to it and leave it to mature. And then you can use that in various things, if it comes out well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now