Talk

Advanced search

Chicken Recipe for larger numbers

(14 Posts)
BackforGood Sun 27-Sep-15 15:53:27

Wonder if you can help me. I tried looking in 'Recipes' but there's hundreds there and it didn't help really.

I'm doing a meal for what could be potentially 80 - 100 people. We decided to do jacket potatoes for everyone then a big pot of chilli, and, also a chicken-y, possibly creamier dish as an alternative (don't want to go for curry - am looking for something a lot of different folk will enjoy who aren't keen on too many spices). [Will also sort something for any vegetarians who sign up]

Might need to point out I'm no cook - so any thoughts need to be easy, and, preferably not cost too much, as, although we obviously want it to be nice, it's a fund raising 'do' so the lower the costs, the more goes to the cause, so not really looking to use loads of cream or other expensive ingreds

Anyone any suggestions please ?

IHaveBrilloHair Sun 27-Sep-15 17:27:32

Chicken supreme?

BackforGood Sun 27-Sep-15 17:53:10

How do I make that?

BackforGood Sun 27-Sep-15 17:53:46

Sorry blush I mean,

How do I make that please

bookbook Sun 27-Sep-15 17:54:25

Nigella does a really good recipe for chicken thighs called chicken with 40 cloves of garlic - basically shallots/garlic/ bit of wine. I do it when catering for lots - you can batch cook it, and it freezes well. I shall try and find a link ( there is one using a whole chicken, but its not that one!)

bookbook Sun 27-Sep-15 17:58:05

No link, but here it is - this feeds 4, so a bit of an upscale needed, though you can get away with less garlic, the more thighs you do.
Its done for America, so scallions are shallots, and I use a big cast iron casserole dish smile

Chicken with 40 Cloves of Garlic

Ingredients
2 tablespoons regular olive oil
8 chicken thighs (with skin on and bone in), preferably organic
1 bunch or 6 scallions
8 to 10 sprigs fresh thyme
40 cloves garlic (approximately 3 to 4 heads), unpeeled
2 tablespoons dry white vermouth or white wine
3/4 teaspoons table salt
Good grinding pepper
Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Heat the oil on the stovetop in a wide, shallow ovenproof and flameproof Dutch oven (that will ultimately fit all the chicken in one layer, and that has a lid), and sear the chicken over a high heat, skin-side down. This may take 2 batches, so transfer the browned pieces to a bowl as you go.

Once the chicken pieces are seared, transfer them all to the bowl. Finely slice the scallions, put them into the Dutch oven and quickly stir-fry them with the leaves torn from a few sprigs of thyme.

Put 20 of the unpeeled cloves of garlic (papery excess removed) into the pan, top with the chicken pieces skin-side up, then cover with the remaining 20 cloves of garlic. Add the vermouth (or white wine) to any oily, chickeny juices left in the bowl. Swish it around and pour this into the pan too. Sprinkle with the salt, grind over the pepper, and add a few more sprigs of thyme. Put on the lid and cook in the oven for 1 1/2 hours.

Make Ahead Note: Chicken can be browned and casserole assembled 1 day ahead. Cover tightly and store in the refrigerator. Season with salt and pepper and warm the pan gently on the stovetop for 5 minutes before baking as directed in recipe.

Ridingthegravytrain Sun 27-Sep-15 18:04:06

I would do chicken thighs with lots of veg in a bolognese style sauce as it's quick and cheap and easy

fieldfare Sun 27-Sep-15 18:33:33

I wouldn't do something with chicken as it's so expensive. Why not a veggie korma? Then that's the veggie's taken care of too.

Pico2 Sun 27-Sep-15 18:49:17

I'd do coronation chicken as it goes well with jacket potatoes. You can make it with whole chickens, poached and stripped.

alicemalice Sun 27-Sep-15 18:53:48

I also wouldn't do chicken. You need to do a veggie option.

RB68 Sun 27-Sep-15 19:44:14

Thighs are pretty cheap to be honest compared to whole chickies and have more meat than the drummers. Check a local butchers for a price if you bulk buy I know mine will do larger packs of things like that for a good price

Coletterbox Sun 27-Sep-15 19:46:06

This is a really lovely creamy chicken dish - very moreish!
www.eatdrinkcook.co.uk/herby-yoghurt-chicken-recipe/

BackforGood Sun 27-Sep-15 22:45:15

Thank you SO much ladies.
I knew MN would help me.
Sorry, I've been busy all evening and must toddle off to bed now but will look at these tomorrow. Thanks especially to those who have given me links and those who have copied out recipes.
You are wonderful flowers

cdtaylornats Sun 27-Sep-15 22:55:38

Whichever recipe you choose you could think about using Turkey as it tends to be cheaper than chicken.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now