Talk

Advanced search

French-style desert for 20

(18 Posts)
SakuraSakura Sun 16-Aug-15 16:27:19

I'm cooking for a crowd soon, and the menu will have a French feeling. Staring with canapés & kir royales, a starter of goats cheese salad, main of Mediterranean pork & orange casserole.

I cannot decide on desert! Found a great recipe for creme brûlée tarts but haven't found suitable tins anywhere (mine are too wide & shallow). Nigella has a recipe for creme brûlée which is in a big dish, but I'm afraid it will look sloppy dished out. Maybe I could source 20 ramekins but wonder about the hassle of caramelising the tops of all those pots. Could I do it in advance? Or maybe a tarte Tatin? All ideas gratefully received thanks

Deedeecupcake Sun 16-Aug-15 16:33:42

This probably way too simple but what about the French style Apple tart. You'd probably need to make two of them and serve with some really nice vanilla ice cream.

howabout Sun 16-Aug-15 16:34:21

I love tarte au citron and also clafoutis. I think brulee would be a faff for so many. Proper French apple or apricot tart with a creme patisserie base is also lovely and much easier to prepare ahead than tarte tatin. I also really like a cheese board with fruit and strong coffee.
I may have to invent French afternoon tea now grin

IHaveBrilloHair Sun 16-Aug-15 16:35:35

Tart au citron, I made it last year using a Mary Berry recipe and it was great

Twinkie1 Sun 16-Aug-15 16:35:55

Heston has a recipe for Tarte Tatin. Always works and always commented on as being scrummy. Can make in advance and warm in oven.

quietbatperson Sun 16-Aug-15 16:39:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SakuraSakura Sun 16-Aug-15 16:43:08

Thanks all. Ok, a tarte Tatin or citron. Or both grin. I must Google a fraisier as I don't know what that is! Yes, we have cheese planned for later too...and calvados wink

SakuraSakura Sun 16-Aug-15 16:45:15

Fraisier looks amazing!

quietbatperson Sun 16-Aug-15 16:47:30

quietbatperson Sun 16-Aug-15 16:48:42

quietbatperson Sun 16-Aug-15 16:50:57

penguinsaresmall Sun 16-Aug-15 17:01:43

I would cheat and buy make enough macarons to make a tower - delicious and French and a table centrepiece smile

MsRinky Sun 16-Aug-15 17:34:40

I've done 24 creme caramel in two yorkshire pudding tins.

cdtaylornats Mon 17-Aug-15 08:08:37

Croque en buoche would be a classic
Cheeseboard with various French cheeses

Lunaballoon Mon 17-Aug-15 15:38:39

Another vote for fruit tarts here. Apricot or plum works really well on a bed of frangipane. Or how about profiteroles?

toffeeboffin Mon 17-Aug-15 16:10:51

Chocolate fondue?

With loads of fruit and marshmallows?

NOM!

clearsommespace Mon 17-Aug-15 16:17:58

French MIL always does apple tart when apples are in season and there is a crowd.
Ice cream profiteroles would be an easy option (assuming you buy ready made)

clearsommespace Mon 17-Aug-15 16:19:14

BTW in France cheese is served before dessert.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now