Talk

Advanced search

Cooling boiled potatoes

(7 Posts)
PigletJohn Fri 14-Aug-15 16:36:26

I am doing 6kg of potato salad for a barbie tomorrow. My biggest cauldron holds 2kg with space to tumble.

I am cooking today, and want to chill them and keep in the fridge overnight, then slice and add mayo tomorrow. I find they take a long time to get cool enough to put in the fridge without making it too warm.

Any tips?

dementedpixie Fri 14-Aug-15 16:48:03

rinse in cold water?

PigletJohn Fri 14-Aug-15 16:56:07

might that make them wet or soggy inside?

they are new potatoes, unpeeled, in skins.

dementedpixie Fri 14-Aug-15 17:02:55

Have you not already boiled them in water though? put them in a colander and run cold water over them and maybe pat them dry with kitchen roll before putting them in the dish in the fridge

pinkje Fri 14-Aug-15 17:05:05

Have you a large bucket you could fill with cold water? Drain the potatoes as normal then put them in a sealed bag and flash-cool them before putting in the fridge. (I have never tried it with potatoes but it works for boiled eggs).

PigletJohn Fri 14-Aug-15 17:40:49

I don't think I've got suitable bags, but I think I will try putting them in a pan and floating the pan in cold running water.

Lunaballoon Fri 14-Aug-15 18:03:08

I wouldn't rinse them. Better IMO to tip them onto baking trays or anything with a large surface area to air cool.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now