Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Do nigella seeds go off?

(4 Posts)
MisguidedAngel Fri 14-Aug-15 12:31:41

I'm bored with my standard meals so I was inspired to do a Nigel Slater thing in last Sunday's Observer (courgette cake) because I have a glut of courgettes and an unopened packet of nigella seeds lurking in the back of the cupboard.

I followed the recipe slavishly as I always do, because I'm not at all an instinctive cook. By the time I'd grated 400g of potatoes and 350g of courgettes, and later squeezed it all, I was beginning to think it wasn't worth the effort.

It came out looking good, but tasted a bit weird - I can only describe it as slightly stale. All my other ingredients were fresh, but when I looked at the nigella seed packet it said "best by end 2013". I would've thought seeds lasted forever in a sealed pack, but maybe not.

Luckily I'd served it with crispy pancetta and a big salad, so it wasn't a disaster but not something I plan to do again. But I am curious - do you experienced cooks think the "off" taste was the seeds?

Dancingqueen17 Fri 14-Aug-15 13:55:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MisguidedAngel Fri 14-Aug-15 16:22:04

Nooo! Should I have? Nigel never told me to.

Dancingqueen17 Fri 14-Aug-15 16:56:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now