Talk

Advanced search

Extremely Fussy Eater - Help?

(7 Posts)
RocketGirl519 Thu 13-Aug-15 15:22:06

I have a just turned 2 year old boy who is extremely fussy. He was born with a bad re-flux so he was given carobel which thickens up his milk. He didn't show any interest in food until about 8 months and that was the likes of baby rice. I tried the natural progression of foods but when it came to lumps he was continually throwing up dramatically no matter how many times you offered.

His breakfast would be 2 wheatabix
His lunch would be 1 pot of yogurt and some small rice cakes and half a beaker of milk
His dinner he does not eat.
Supper he would have a bowl of porridge.

I do not give him any snacks. I do not give night feeds at all. He used to eat baked beans when I reduced all milk feeds but that stopped. He used to eat toast for lunch but that also stopped. He is extremely hesitant to try foods and will not let me try to feed him food.I offer fruit and vegetables everyday and other various things. He will eat the likes of chocolate and crisps no problem but I obviously only give them in moderation during the weekend as a treat. He always seem to want what we are eating but will not take it if we offer from our plate. I am very disheartened. The health visitor was pretty useless and said all parents are frustrated with eating. But my child will not even eat chips chicken etc etc normal child meals like his peers.

Please help? Will he just come on in his own time? Anyone going through this themselves? I would love him to be able to eat the likes of toast normally again or even chips would be good!

Thanks for your help
Lauren

jaaaayd Thu 13-Aug-15 20:38:58

Hi, I hope you receive some advice in regards to the issue you have with your child and their fussy eating habits! I am currently doing research at the University of Reading and would really appreciate 5 minutes of your time to complete my survey! If your child is starting school in September, I would like to know your thoughts on packed lunches and school meals and what your child will be having! Thank you for taking the time to read this!
Survey is linked below:

www.surveymonkey.com/r/Eating_At_School

mawbroon Thu 13-Aug-15 22:30:07

Ds1 was incredibly fussy. He had undiagnosed tongue tie which caused him difficulty with chewing and swallowing.

Has he ever been properly checked for it?

RocketGirl519 Sat 15-Aug-15 18:49:36

No he has not been checked for it.
I think he doesnt have it as he is able to eat biscuits and crisps so I think it must be a matter of time?

rainbowunicorn Sat 15-Aug-15 19:12:19

I would stop all biscuits and crisps etc even if they are just a weekend treat. Keep offering him healthy food. Put whatever you are having on a plate for him if he does not eat take it away without comment. Do not offer anything else to eat until the next mealtime.

mawbroon Sat 15-Aug-15 19:50:48

Biscuits and crisps go mushy though. My son had trouble with meat or anything stringy like sweet potato as well as other seemingly random textures. The tongue forms a little channel for the food to be guided down before swallowing and it appears he wasn't able to do this properly

smange Mon 17-Aug-15 14:21:10

My two-year old boy is much the same.

Breakfast: Cornflakes or Pain au chocolat.
Lunch: Bread and butter. Maybe some wheat grains. Maybe some dessert if we're having it.
Afternoon Tea: Fruit / Fruit Compote. Anything bready/cakey he gets offered.
Dinner: Bread and butter. Sauce. Maybe a nugget if they're on offer.
Before bed: A small amount of milk.

We offer salad as finger-food. Cooked veg. Pasta. Soup. Meat. He just ignores all of it.

I hope someone has a plan of attack!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now