Talk

Advanced search

'Fish' Tofu Recipe Recommendations Please?

(10 Posts)
ShortyShortLegs Sat 08-Aug-15 00:57:00

I am allergic to all fish and all shellfish....and i really miss it! Especially prawns, taramasalata and fish and chips (can't even eat chippy chips without a reaction).

So, I have seen recipes for tofu and would like some recommendations for the best 'fish' dishes please smile I've only ever eaten tofu a couple of times and that was just cubed and fried.

And also, is it worth buying the Fishless fillets or fish style prawns/fish cakes, or are they not anything like actual fish and prawns?

I am also allergic to all fruit except strawberries and cherries, and I have Type 2 Diabetes so need low sugar recipes too please.

LordEmsworth Mon 10-Aug-15 14:20:29

I love tofu but not sure I could make it taste like fish...

You can batter and deep fry halloumi for a chip shop experience though? That's delicious.

redpriestandmozart Tue 11-Aug-15 10:07:25

As a vegan I can highly recommend Making Waves fish steaks, to me they taste just how I remember fish, a little bit softer but definitely fish like. The first time I tried them I thought my DH had mixed up and given me the fish as they looked so similar, I spat it out thinking it was fish, I proceeded to take DH fish apart to make sure I had the right one. I like it with chips as it feels like true fish'n'chips. I haven't tried any other. I may have been vegan too long but I do really love this one.

HeadDreamer Tue 11-Aug-15 14:04:56

But tofu doesn't taste like fish.

And I'm a tofu eater! It's delicious if cooked properly.

SunshineAndShadows Tue 11-Aug-15 14:09:19

Second battered Halloumi - it's yummy. There are some good fish substitutes in health food shops

SunshineAndShadows Tue 11-Aug-15 14:10:49

Oh! Just remembered. Good tuna sandwich sub: mash chickpeas with a crumbled dried seaweed strip/sheet, add a bit of salad cream = tuna sandwich filling

fascicle Tue 11-Aug-15 15:26:51

I was going to suggest adding e.g. nori, but Sunshine beat me to it.

whois Tue 11-Aug-15 17:00:26

For tofu style fish I'm thinking you want flavours such as lemon, capers, parsley, black pepper and salty sea from crumbled up nori sheets or something. I'm also thinking deep fried for that 'fish and chip shop' feeling.

This link has a few different recipes:
www.peta.org/living/food/fabulous-fish-fakes/

This also might be useful:
www.onegreenplanet.org/vegan-food/how-to-make-vegan-seafood-dishes-without-the-fish/

I've seen jackfruit being used in place of fish rather than tofu in a few places, and also 'old bay seasoning' which seems to be a US thing but looks easy to re-create.
Example of using jackfruit into fake fish fillets.
thegentlechef.com/blog/?p=746

For no-fish fish cakes, I often just do potato cakes with the relevant seasoning in.
- English style ones with diced up red onion, chopped parsley, lemon juice and zest, wholegrain mustard, salt and pepper and capers.
- Thai-style ones with lemon grass, coriander, lime zest/juice, red chili and dice up some palm hearts or shallots or some peppers or something to give a bit of texture.
I don't bother breadcrumbing but would be much nicer if breadcrumbed.

This looks like a lovely recipe for no-fish fish cakes:
thegentlechef.com/blog/?p=1253

Do come back OP and let us know how you get on with making some fake fish :-)

whois Tue 11-Aug-15 17:04:11

Oh, I have actually done this - used king oyster mushroom stems as scallop type substitute. Worked well.

www.forkandbeans.com/2014/05/06/king-oyster-mushroom-scallops/

www.thepetitecook.com/vegan-scallops-with-spring-greens/

whois Tue 11-Aug-15 17:05:43

Oh, just realised you said you are allergic to all fruit - so that is the jackruit thins out then.

Does it include lemon and lime too? What do you use for citrus/sharp flavoring? Vinegar?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now