Talk

Advanced search

Best beginner cookbook for someone on a tight grocery budget?

(16 Posts)
Meandmygirls2009 Thu 06-Aug-15 18:45:39

Is jamie ministry of food suitable for someone on a tight grocery budget or should I look at a different beginner cook book?

dreamingofsun Thu 06-Aug-15 19:49:00

i'd go for a student cook book. try one from the library and if you get on with it buy it. they tend to be really simple, with cheap and not many ingredients - basically designed for a student - though i also use one and am a more experienced cook

Rummikub Thu 06-Aug-15 19:51:17

A girl called jack? I think she started a blog a out budget cooking out of necessity.

notnowImreading Thu 06-Aug-15 19:51:33

The 'girl called Jack' one is good if you are on a really tight budget. Otherwise I agree with the student book suggestion.

Meandmygirls2009 Thu 06-Aug-15 19:55:07

Is the girl called jack book also suitable for feeding children, I have tried two of her recipes online but the children found them too spicy. Maybe I just tried the wrong recipes?

BikeRunSki Thu 06-Aug-15 20:00:01

A Girl Called Jack started when she lost her job (and partner?) when he son was tiny. Definitely done with children in mind, but she does like spice, maybe tone it down a bit.

Grub on a Grant is good if it's still about.

Dancingqueen17 Thu 06-Aug-15 21:16:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Dancingqueen17 Thu 06-Aug-15 21:19:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lilacblossomtime Thu 06-Aug-15 21:22:30

I agree with internet if you are on a budget, also go to the library and they usually have a good selection of books.

cdtaylornats Fri 07-Aug-15 09:13:14

The BBC food website has a specific section for budget recipes just search for "BBC food budget meals"

mrsmeerkat Fri 07-Aug-15 09:23:35

This is an Irish publication from MABS and free to download. I have a hard copy but they don't print them anymore.

It has everything you need from family meals to weaning tips to desserts. Great resource.

Try the Eve's pudding now coming up to apple season. Delish.

101 square meals recipe book

LadyPeterWimsey Fri 07-Aug-15 09:38:20

Definitely borrow a few different cook books from the library and try them out. I do this all the time. If there are only a few recipes you like from a book you can often find them if you search for them online, or I guess copy them out (I think you are allowed to do that under fair use guidelines).

I think Ministry of Food is ok; he also wrote Save with Jamie but I haven't cooked much from that.

I've noticed he does try to put as much veg in his recipes as possible so it should tick the 'healthy' box.

ThaddyMummy Fri 07-Aug-15 09:45:11

I own far too many cookbooks blush and yet now if I want to learn a new dish it is mostly through reading someone's blog or watching someone cook something on YouTube.

You get a lot more 'chat' about the recipe eg 'you have to add this really slowly or it curdles' or can actually see someone making it so are less likely to dislike the final dish or make mistakes that ruin it.

I also really love websites where you can read other readers comments or ratings- there tweaks and subs often make a recipe better too.

buzzwoody Fri 07-Aug-15 22:21:58

Take a look at a girl called jack website and thrifty Leslie.

daisydalrymple Sun 09-Aug-15 20:58:50

I find the 'grandmas best recipes' type books have a fairly wide selection of all the basic family type recipes you would need- there are a few different versions, but they're generally in asda, the works, smiths etc around the fiver mark.

Hellionandfriends Sun 09-Aug-15 21:01:06

Dahls, curries, curried chickpeas, chilli's are cheap to make. Also cottage pie with half puy lentils, half meat.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now