Talk

Advanced search

delicious vegan meal without lentil/soy?

(14 Posts)
LuxuryTrifle Thu 06-Aug-15 18:17:13

Delicious vegan meals that don't involve lentils or soy? All ideas welcome....

LettuceLaughton Thu 06-Aug-15 18:19:52

Falafels

LiDLrichardsPistachioSack Thu 06-Aug-15 18:22:32

Quinoa black bean burgers
Sweet potato wedges
Roasted butternut squash curry
(Or squash blended with smoked paprika and veg stock served over pasta)
Avocado pasta
Falafel wraps
Tortilla wraps with stir fried beans peppers onions, cashew cheese
Vegan lasagne

I could go on...

MagratGarlik Thu 06-Aug-15 18:24:08

My ds2 is dairy allergic and allergic to lentils, whereas I am pescetarian, so lots of our family meals follow similar criteria.

Have you thought about a vegan lasagne, using oat milk to make the sauce, instead of soya or cows milk?

Mushroom strogonoff, using oat cream?

Vegetable korma using coconut milk.

For dessert, I make a homemade vegan ice-cream using mango puree, sugar and coconut milk. It's yummy.

LiDLrichardsPistachioSack Thu 06-Aug-15 18:24:35

I just made cucumber avocado sushi rolls for tea

LiDLrichardsPistachioSack Thu 06-Aug-15 18:25:52

Banana ice cream. Frozen bananas, bit of maple syrup, almond butter. Yum.

chocolatechip123 Thu 06-Aug-15 18:25:59

Pasta, rice with veggies, curry (oh yum), salad/hummous/bread, I'll have I think. I'm veggie but often I will finish a meal and realise that it was vegan.

LuxuryTrifle Thu 06-Aug-15 18:30:48

Gosh these ideas are good. My imagination was totally failing me. (Breastfeeding a nine week old with intolerances so having to broaden our repertoire)

GemmeFatale Thu 06-Aug-15 18:51:17

Veggie curries of all types. 4bean chilli, tomato and vegtable pasta dishes, aubergine bake, risotto, chickpea curry

cdtaylornats Thu 06-Aug-15 19:45:03

Somerset Stew with cheddar mash

Vegetables stewed in cider basically

greenhill Thu 06-Aug-15 20:29:02

Roasted butternut squash soup with tomato stock is very easy to make.

Take a kilo bag of frozen pre cut butternut squash, roast from frozen for 30-40 minutes on a tray drizzled in olive oil.

Get a big pan, chop a large onion (or use frozen chopped onion) and sauté it until translucent, then add a squeeze of tomato and chilli paste, then gradually add a litre of spicy tomato juice, when heated through, add the butternut squash and oil from the tray. Shut off the power, put on lid and leave for 15 minutes. Use a spatula to reduce size of squash, for a lumpy soup, or use a hand blender to make a thicker sauce for cous cous, rice, pasta etc.

You could also add sweet peppers or sweet potato to it with either cumin or paprika, or use tomato passata or halved cherry or plum tomatoes to switch things around.

Frozen butternut squash cuts out all the faff of de-seeding and peeling the squash.

thatsshallot Thu 06-Aug-15 20:36:23

Cafe paradiso does a delicious roasted squash, aubergine and black bean chilli. Also roast tomato and courgette risotto, left over risotto can be breadcrumbs and fried into arrancini.

Many veggie burgers, sweet corn fritters, pasta with green beans, new potatoes and vegan pesto, toad in the hole made with dairy free milk, felafels (soak split peas overnight and whizz up with flavourings then fry for ridiculously cheap and yumny version).

Veggie tagine with coys cous. Maggi sells coconut milk powder which is v useful, mixed with but if stock, nut butter and sweet chilli sauce makes a delicious cheats satay delicious with noodles and veg.

LuxuryTrifle Fri 07-Aug-15 18:52:44

Gosh thanks so much everybody. Will be trying out all these things! (And am starting with avocado cucumber sushi - I didn't realise it was feasible to make at home - sushi making has always been wreathed in glamorous mystery for me)

JamNan Sun 09-Aug-15 07:57:19

This carrot and barley with raisins and dates is delicous. I like to oven roast the carrots with a little oil. You can serve it warm if you like.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now