Talk

Advanced search

Mexican inspired feast

(12 Posts)
VeraClaythorne Wed 05-Aug-15 19:24:17

Hoping to cook a Mexican inspired meal for 4 on Friday night. I would like to make it a bit more interesting than just tacos or fajitas, more of a mix and match affair. Also looking for inspiration for sides...

piebald Wed 05-Aug-15 20:48:54

You can buy tortillas and cut into wedge shapes and fry and use for dipping salsas and guacacmole.

whois Thu 06-Aug-15 08:51:28

I think the beauty of 'Mexican' is all the variety. Go for lots of different fresh salsas - pico de gallo, a big chunky tomato based one, an avacado based one etc. Do a nice big bowl of salad, Mexican spiced rice re-fried beans. Big bowl of veggies and then either chicken and/or beef and a big stack of fajitas and everyone can dive in.

Could do those little taciqto things as a starter. do two different ones and serve one of each as a starter. I like lime, honey, chipotle and tequila marinaded prawns.

ihatethecold Thu 06-Aug-15 09:11:02

Black bean dip is amazing.
Have a search for Wahaca recipes.
It can be used as a dip or a side order

RabbitsarenotHares Thu 06-Aug-15 15:17:37

If you have a glass bowl do a seven-layer dip (obviously you can make it in a non-glass bowl, but it looks impressive if you can see the different layers).

(Top)

Grated Cheese
Sliced olives
Spring onions and sliced tomato
Sour cream
Salsa
Guacamole
Refried beans mixed with some taco spices

(Bottom)

Then for pudding what about a Mexican flan (which is very similar to a creme caramel)?

SacredHeart Thu 06-Aug-15 15:26:49

My usual Mexican meal is

Homemade soft corn tortillas (using masa, so easy to make)
Chicken mole (roast chicken shredded in mole sauce - homemade or jar)
Chicken in green sauce (roast chicken shredded in tomatillo and jalapeño sauce)
Courgette and corn
Mexican rice
Tortilla chips and pico de gallo

Most "Mexican" food we have is more tex mex, personally I find real Mexican food much more exciting.

myrtleWilson Thu 06-Aug-15 22:11:04

You could include a queso fundido (chorizo and cheese or mushroom and cheese for vegetarian option), I love the Wahaca chile con carne which Thomasina acknowledges isn't really Mexican, plus pork pibil is never a bad choice!

eyebrowsstillfurrowed Thu 06-Aug-15 22:13:18

quesadillas are easy and super tasty!

JamNan Thu 06-Aug-15 23:44:27

Vera
Some unusual/authentic recipes here

SacredHeart
How do you make soft corn tortillas?
I find corn wraps hard to come by and can only get flour wraps which tend to be pappy and doughy.

SacredHeart Fri 07-Aug-15 00:04:44

If you can get the masa flour (I get it from Mexicangrocer.co.uk) you mix 2 parts with 1 part water and leave to prove (it has lt has line and ash in) then press the balls between plastic to make tortillas and cook on a dry pan (they will puff up).

So simple but the flavour is amazing and so impressive for guests.

chumbler Fri 07-Aug-15 06:22:48

definitely churros with thick hot chocolate for pudding if it's not too late!!

JamNan Fri 07-Aug-15 08:19:13

Thanks SacredHeart I will try that

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now