Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Quorn...what do you do with it?

(64 Posts)
Baddz Sat 01-Aug-15 20:57:43

I need to get ds2 (6) eating more protein. He refuses meat of all kinds.
So I figure quorn would be good as its TVT.
What do you make with it?
Does it taste of much?
Is it easy to cook with?
Thanks!

Dancingqueen17 Sat 01-Aug-15 21:42:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lastqueenofscotland Sat 01-Aug-15 22:07:05

Quorn is processed crap imo (I'm a vegetarian and literally eat the stuff only if I go someone's house and they've made it) also some people have really quite averse rections to it

Will he eat lentils? Use them instead of mince in chilli and bolognese, cheaper than quorn too! Eggs, beans and pulses, nuts, tofu?

Baddz Sat 01-Aug-15 22:48:28

Nope....doesn't eat eggs, legumes sad
He does eat a lot of fruit and some veg and things like porridge and fromage frais.

Baddz Sat 01-Aug-15 22:50:14

We are going to try pasta, a scrambled eggs and beans.
He used to eat loads of stuff but from about 2.5 got really picky and tbh life got in the way a bit and I have left it too long to tackle sad
<should say he has a real sweet tooth>

Verbena37 Sun 02-Aug-15 00:02:16

I think Quorn has a kind of nutty taste and whilst I'm not a veggie, me and DD do like Quorn products. I love the broccoli and cheese escalopes and the scotch eggs....you honestly wouldn't know the scotch eggs didn't contain meat. I've used the chicken style pieces stir fried in salads or with sauces or with pasta. And the mince, I just use as a beef mince replacement. I think you need sauces and other flavours to enhance it.

TheFormidableMrsC Sun 02-Aug-15 01:55:29

I use Quorn quite a lot even though none of us are veggies. Nicest Quorn recipe is a whole pack of the "mince", cook from frozen in a tablespoon of coconut oil (gives a lovely creamy flavour). Add fresh garlic, chopped chilli, some onion. Use two tins of chopped tomatoes, a couple of tablespoons of tomato paste and one of those beef jelly stock cubes. Simmer for around 20 mins or so. I eat it on its' own, DD has it with pasta. Grate a little cheese on the top. It's really tasty. It refrigerates well so will have leftovers the next day heated up and usually find it's even better having been left for 24 hours.

PolterGoose Sun 02-Aug-15 08:53:04

Baddz Sun 02-Aug-15 08:59:23

Ugh. Doesn't sound too appetising! smile
It's so infuriating polter!
He is very sturdy, not underweight, doing well at school etc BUT just like ds1 he is starting to get bad tummy pains (but no constipation like ds1)
I feel that, with everything else that's happened in our lives over the past 2 years (including ds2s op last year), I've really dropped the ball on this one sad
I will try egg and beans.
He does eat yoghurt and cheese spread and I make sure bread etc is whole grain.
Sigh.

Baddz Sun 02-Aug-15 09:00:19

and the really annoying this is he used to eat everything as a toddler/when he was weaned.
Grr.

Oliversmumsarmy Sun 02-Aug-15 09:05:50

Where do you get the quorn chorizo. We loved the smoked sausage type slices but now cannot get it anywhere. I feel that the vegetarian section in Tesco, Sainsburys etc is getting smaller.

I was a reluctant meat eater for many years and I find Quorn is tastier than meat. To me meat has a weird smell is chewy and after a few chews feels like you are trying to swallow wet cardboard flavoured with a weak oxo cube.

Dancingqueen17 Sun 02-Aug-15 10:07:50

chocolatechip123 Sun 02-Aug-15 10:15:14

Don't use the mince! I get runny tummy with it and DS has been as suck as a dog the 2 times he has had it. I looked it up and some people do have a bad reaction.

I use the chunks to make chilli and curry (no bad effects!). We like the sausages and escalopes.

Oliversmumsarmy Sun 02-Aug-15 11:44:14

Thanks I will have to try to find a big Waitrose as there isn't any around here, just the smaller ones.

I have read people can have an adverse reaction to it but it all depends on the person, none of us have had any bad reaction to any Quorn product. Really would be at a loss without it as my dc hate lentils and tofu stuff.

chocolatechip123 Sun 02-Aug-15 11:54:43

Tofu is great - marinade it in olive oil, soya sauce and ginger then griddle it.

Baddz Sun 02-Aug-15 12:04:28

Well..I've been to the shops and there wasn't much choice tbh.
So I got "chicken" nuggets.
I doubt very much he will eat them but at least I feel like I am trying...

TheFormidableMrsC Sun 02-Aug-15 12:55:12

Oh! I have never had an adverse reaction to it, neither have the kids. Maybe some are more sensitive than others. I ought to mention Cauldron veggie sausages, they are lovely!

Dd1 (now 20) was very fussy as a child - would happily eat all kinds of fruit, vege and carbs but v fussy about protein.

Some of the things that she liked included:

Quorn sausages / hotdog sausages - either as hotdogs in bread, or as a sausage casserole, or chopped into a tomato-based pasta sauce

Lentil soup (blended so no bits!)

Omelettes

Pasta with a sauce made from melted cream cheese (either the normal one or the garlic and herb one) and some frozen peas

Chickpeas in pretty much any form, but especially felafel

WellWhoKnew Sun 02-Aug-15 13:21:36

I prefer RealEat Mince (veggie) to Quorn I find it absorbs the flavour best of all.

I like the chicken chunks, but they've got an odd flavour that needs masking. I "fry" them in water to soften them up, then add a marinade, e.g. BBQ sauce to a BBQ chicken sandwich/wrap (yum).

I only get a bad reaction from the "bacon", I'm guessing it's the food colouring used in it.

Linda McCartney sausages are the tastiest in my view.

TheFormidableMrsC Sun 02-Aug-15 13:55:01

WWK...I am delighted that I didn't kill you with my Quorn wink

Baddz Sun 02-Aug-15 16:34:55

I am a bit at the end of my tether with him tbh.
I asked him to try some roast chicken at lunch...he tried, put it in his mouth, chewed and gagged. He just hates it. sad
He can't live on fruit, bread and veg...can he?....
Im so down about it.
It's not so bad at home but we are going away for the weekend soon and its such a bloody nightmare finding things he will eat.
Oh...and of course the judging!....amazing how the dads are never judge over food intake isn't it! smile

Dancingqueen17 Sun 02-Aug-15 16:49:25

Baddz Sun 02-Aug-15 16:57:38

He has promised me over the summer he will try more foods.
No to peanut butter, but I might get some to try.
Haven't tried eggy bread. He might eat it if I dust it with icing sugar! smile
He is trying a cheese and tomato pizza tonight for tea....we shall see.
Today he has had...
Porridge
Toast
Fromage frais
Carrot sticks
Apple
Mashed potato, carrots and broccoli (this is his staple hot meal)
He then had 2 choc biscuits before we went out for a walk (he was "starving" apparently)
He will probably have strawberries and ice cream for pudding after tea.

Is that awful?

When at school he takes sandwiches which contains;
2 small whole real cheese spread sandwiches
Apple/other type of fruit
Carrot sticks
Small Mr Kipling cake (those snap packs you can buy)
Sometimes wotsits
Sometimes celery
Sometimes a frube
Carton of Apple juice

If I told a Dr I was worried about his diet they would laugh me out of the office! He is 75% for both height and weight and has plenty of energy.

Do I just carry on as I am and hope for a change with maturity?

Thanks for all the replies btw. Appreciate it x

Dancingqueen17 Sun 02-Aug-15 17:16:46

Baddz Sun 02-Aug-15 17:25:55

Thank you,
That's very reassuring x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now