Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Does vegetable Atora contain the dreaded trans fats?

(4 Posts)
Toadinthehole Fri 31-Jul-15 09:09:49

I like making suet puddings. Unfortunately, all supermarkets in NZ (where I live) no longer stock suet. They all stopped last year at the same time. I can't find it anywhere now.

So DW went to the local British grocery shop, and returned triumphant. However, what she has bought isn't suet at all. It is a vegetable substitute made by Atora called "suet".

The ingredients say: "Vegetable oils 59% (Palm, Sunflower), wheat flour, stabiliser: Pectin.

Under Nutrition Information it says that per 100g it contains 32.8% saturated fat, 22.8g mon-unsaturates, 7.2% polyunsaturates. The remainder is carboydrate.

Should I use this stuff?

cdtaylornats Fri 31-Jul-15 09:18:52

Atora vegetarian diet contains no trans-fats. Do you have a local butcher, suet is just the hard fat around the kidneys, a good butcher should be able to provide it.

Toadinthehole Sun 02-Aug-15 05:07:47

Thanks - that's a really good tip. Would a butcher be able to sell me a hard lump of suet which I would be able to break up e.g. with a hammer?

Bearleigh Sun 02-Aug-15 05:52:53

Toad it's not that hard. You just chop it. With a knife There will be things like membrane attached which you have to remove, and there maybe specks of red Presumabky blood. Or you could use butter, rubbed in - I do for my Xmas pudding...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now