Talk

Advanced search

Meat boxes - recommendations?

(22 Posts)
ozzia Mon 27-Jul-15 11:56:02

I am a massive lover of eating meat but I hate buying supermarket meat, the way the animals are treated isn't acceptable. I want the animals to have a lovely life and killed in a humane way (as much as possible anyway).

So I've been looking at the different companies who offer meat boxes in the same way that Abel & Cole offer veg (and meat it appears!), does anyone have a specific company they would recommend? Battens Farm? Abel & Cole? Or any other one?

ozzia Mon 27-Jul-15 16:36:49

Bump

antimatter Mon 27-Jul-15 16:44:36

I'd move this thread to Food section of MN to get more answers.

ozzia Mon 27-Jul-15 16:45:43

How do I do that?

MrsCornish Mon 27-Jul-15 16:46:38

the Abel and Cole chicken legs were the only thing that kept me using them as long as I did. unmatched!

slicedfinger Mon 27-Jul-15 16:46:42

Have you looked at Riverford? It is a while since we had one, but when we did, it was great. Better quality (at that time, possibly 5 years ago though) than Able & Cole, and better value for money. No idea what either are like now (Abel & Cole veg are much better than they used to be).

Pengweng Mon 27-Jul-15 16:52:14

Ocado do organic free range/high welfare meat boxes. Bit more expensive than abel and cole though.

GingerFoxInAT0phat Mon 27-Jul-15 16:52:41

I'm going to be ordering from here when it's time to do a shop
swillingtonorganicfarm.co.uk

So can't comment on quality etc yet but I'm also rapidly going off supermarket meat, especially chicken.

Pengweng Mon 27-Jul-15 16:53:09

You could always try a local farm too. I know a few farms near us (we are south manchester) sell their meat on site for a similar price to supermarkets but much better quality.

PatMullins Mon 27-Jul-15 16:54:51

Muscle food. smilestar

JazzerciseThis Mon 27-Jul-15 16:57:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BeccaMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 27-Jul-15 16:58:31

We'll move this over to food now.

woolymum Mon 27-Jul-15 17:00:47

it depends where you are, but we have a local butcher who delivers. they let you pick what you want but also do monthly specials where it is a set menu but the saving is fantastic

ozzia Mon 27-Jul-15 17:02:39

Think I'll give Riverford a go

Battens Farm looks good too.

Maybe I'll try both and see what happpens

fishboneschokus Mon 27-Jul-15 17:03:47

I had a terrible one. I only ordered because it was a massive reduction on Amazon. They sent 3 hampers, although I cancelled after the first one which failed to contain Kobe burgers, the only reason I bought.

Endless emails of complaint...

I can't remember the name but they haven't been mentioned.

TheCrowFromBelow Mon 27-Jul-15 17:09:58

Riverford's meat is excellent. It does cost more than the supermarket I think it's worth it - we eat less meat, but better meat.

JazzerciseThis Mon 27-Jul-15 17:31:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

swooosh Mon 27-Jul-15 17:33:25

We get ours direct from our local butchers. There's many butchers in the area that offer this service and many deliver. Might be worth a look?

ozzia Mon 27-Jul-15 17:37:46

I've looked locally and not found a good one yet, my uncle works in one so I've got fussy.

I don't mind paying more for quality

Icedfinger Mon 27-Jul-15 18:16:51

Jimmy's Farm (as in JimmyDoherty off the TV) do them. They are pricey but his meat is great.
http://jimmysfarm.com/product-category/meat-boxes/

43percentburnt Mon 27-Jul-15 18:19:42

Swillington - we buy a monthly box and have done for over a year now. Riverford for veg we have bought from them for several years.

ozzia Mon 27-Jul-15 20:14:28

Ooooh so many. I think I'll just have to try them all smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now