Talk

Advanced search

poached fish ideas/recipe?

(5 Posts)
ribbitTheFrog Sun 26-Jul-15 14:48:55

I have some smoked haddock, salmon and cod fish chunks that I was planning to use for a fish pie but now would like to poach them.

Does anyone have any recipes for this? I've never poached fish before, but online all the recipes involve just poaching in milk - is this a bit boring to eat? Should I add some soft cheese to the sauce or something to make it more interesting to eat?

I'm pregnant, so assuming poached fish is safe to eat...

cdtaylornats Sun 26-Jul-15 18:48:44

You can poach it in court bouillon

Highlove Sun 26-Jul-15 19:58:44

I like it in milk with just a bit if seasoning. It is fairly simply, but very comforting with a big pile of mash. Could make a nice sauce out of the milk...but by then you're slmost at fish pie. Am not sure what soft cheese would add, but I don't really use it as an ingredient that much.

To be honest though, I tend to save poaching for fancier fish and for whole fillets or portions, rather than chunks ifyswim. Fish pie mix is best for fish pie...and when the weather is this grim I can't think of much better..

Highlove Sun 26-Jul-15 20:00:01

Ps. Yep fine if you're pregnant - usual rules about being cooked through apply.

ribbitTheFrog Mon 27-Jul-15 08:10:53

Thanks! I used just milk and seasoning and it tasted good, saved me making a fish pie as was a bit tired (used small jacket potatoes rather than mash).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now